Capping a 3D object after trimming

Next
I have trimmed a 3D object and the result leaves open ends that I would like to cap and make it a solid object. Is there a command for capping a solid? I don't see anything in the basic help file. Is there another place to look for more advanced information?

Thanks again,
Mark

PS Drawing included.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4108.2 In reply to 4108.1 
Hi Mark, the Construct > Planar command can cap off planar end openings:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference7.htm#planarsrf

It's a multi-purpose command - it can be either applied to a selection of planar curves to make a trimmed plane surface through those curves, or it can be applied to a selected surface object to cap off planar openings there as well. When applied to a surface object the caps that are created are automatically joined with the original surface.

So for example for your object, select it and run Construct > Planar and then those holes will be filled in and joined, and you'll have a solid directly after that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4108.3 In reply to 4108.1 
Hi Mark, also one other note - if you want to get a solid result it's easier to use the the Boolean Difference command to cut your object up rather than using the Trim command.

The Trim command works on the surface skin of objects, while the Boolean commands are oriented towards working on volumes and preserving the output as a volume. So if you take a solid and cut it with a line for example using Boolean difference, pieces of the extruded line will be present in the cut up results sealing off the ends automatically so you won't need to do any additional end capping operations if you do it that way.

See these previous posts for some more description on the difference between Trim and Booleans:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4060.9
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3883.3

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks, Michael. I love this editor! It has just about every capability I want. I just wish I knew more about it. Is there a way to do a search on the command reference?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4108.5 In reply to 4108.4 
Hi Mark, there isn't really a search set up for the command reference. But it should be possible to search it using Google. To do that, in Google after your search term add a space and add this: site:moi3d.com/2.0/docs

That will tell Google just to perform its search within the documentation area of MoI's web site.

There is a lot more info in the forum as well though, which has Search function available on the top nav bar.

Don't worry about posting questions though, that's what the forum is here for! But a quick search using the forum search mechanism can definitely be useful as well though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All