Moi meshes in Maxwell Render
All  1-6  7-19

Previous
Next
I don't get a normal tag when I do a standard import of obj to Cinema, only a phong tag. Riptide gave it a normal tag, and it worked like a charm.

Cheers
Rich
www.loopcorp.com

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4083.8 In reply to 4083.7 
Hi Rich, over here I do get a normal tag when importing just using the standard non-Riptide OBJ importer.

But there is a setting for it, is yours possibly turned off?

Under Cinema4D v10 go to Edit > Preferences > Import/Export > Wavefront Import, and there is a checkbox there for "Import Normals", is yours unchecked?

But you're actually better off using Riptide anyway, because Riptide will read the material definitions so that colors that you have set up with styles in MoI will then come through.

The standard OBJ importer will read the material assignments for which materials each polygon belongs to, but it doesn't read in the actual material color properties.

But as far as I have seen the standard importer is able to import vertex normals if that is enabled.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4083.9 In reply to 4083.8 
Actually yes, that is checked here too but I still don't get a normal tag that I can delete. I do via Riptide but not the standard importer.

[Edit] Sorry just re-tested that, I was wrong. I do get the normal tag from Moi obj files. I tested a Cinema OBJ which didn't bring normal tags. [Edit]

I remember the advice some time ago was to import LWO rather than OBJ, was that related to this issue?

EDITED: 6 Mar 2011 by LOOPCORP

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4083.10 In reply to 4083.9 
Hi Rich,

> I remember the advice some time ago was to import
> LWO rather than OBJ, was that related to this issue?

Using LWO instead of OBJ only applied to Modo, not to Cinema4D - for Cinema4D it's always been best to use OBJ format.

Cinema4D's LWO importer does not know how to read vertex normals out of the LWO file, since that's kind of a newish thing for that particular format. Getting normals from LWO format only works with Modo or with the newer versions of LightWave, something like LW 9.6 and up.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Rich, I had the same problem and here is the solution I've found.

In Moi3D best to use OBJ format and set Output: N-gons.

In Cinema:

1. Select maxwell scene object in object manager

2. Selection > Selection filter > Select Tool > Polygon

3. Open Script Manager and execute this script:

CallCommand(1016174); // Remove N-gons
CallCommand(12139); // Points
CallCommand(12112); // Select All
CallCommand(440000042); // Connect
CallCommand(1023133); // #$80Render Render View
CallCommand(12298); // Model
CallCommand(12105); // Undo

Sorry for my poor English

Regards
L_AN
Image Attachments:
Size: 24.5 KB, Downloaded: 33 times, Dimensions: 600x500px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4083.12 In reply to 4083.11 
Hi L_AN

Don't apologise for your English, that was fine!

Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look at that too.

Cheers
Rich
www.loopcorp.com

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4083.13 In reply to 4083.6 
my point is - the normal tags are not recognized in Maxwell and if they attached to the objects there the phong tag is not represented in the Cinema viewport.
So to see how the phong tag is adjusted and how the edges will appear in Maxwell - I get rid of the normal tag and adjust the phong tag. (of course one could check the angle, undo the steps to get the normal tags back and then set tha phong tag again...)
The output is not bad after these steps, just no more normal tags are present.
I don't see another way for this, but it worked for me so far without problems to translate models to Maxwell.

What you see is what you believe - so don't. (from an Amiga500 demo)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4083.14 In reply to 4083.13 
Hi macray - maybe Rich will chime in with what solution works for him, because earlier in this thread he mentioned that using vertex normals (represented by the normals tag) worked for him going into Maxwell.

How exactly are you going into Maxwell, is there a plug-in that you're using? Maybe there are some settings on the plug-in that you have to enable to make normals be transferred.

... I just did some browsing of the help file for the maxwell C4D plugin here:
http://think.maxwellrender.com/docs/maxwellrender_cinema4d_plugin_manual.pdf

There is an "Ignore Normal tag" checkbox option in the "Maxwell Object Properties" dialog, so make sure that is not set on any object that you're transferring, and also it says:

"Note that Normal tags will be ignored automatically if the object is not already triangulated; in that case, the normals contained in the tag will not be suitable for rendering the triangulated object and must
instead be regenerated from scratch."

So that would seem to be your problem - try exporting out from MoI with "Output: Triangles only" in order to avoid this limitation of the Maxwell exporter that it ignores normal tags on quads or n-gons.

Once you do that you probably should not have to delete the normal tags or add a phong tag, and you will get the high quality normals used which will give you the best quality.

Also you may want to contact Maxwell support and ask that they remove this limitation in their plug-in that the Normal tag gets ignored unless your object is completely triangulated. Cinema4D's built in renderer is able to use normal tags on n-gons and it would be good if Maxwell's plug-in behaved in the same way and use the internal triangulation instead of actually requiring the entire base object to be triangulated.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4083.15 In reply to 4083.14 
Hi again

Actually I was having some problems again today and I'm afraid I wasn't quite methodical enough to find exactly what tripped me up but the initial solution from Michael worked well in the end. I can say it seemed to struggle with a model which had some very long, thin triangles on it. I experimented with "aspect ratio" but ended up using "divide longer than" to dice it up a little more. I used Riptide to bring in the normal data and styles came across as very useful poly selection tags (thanks for that tip, Michael).

I also tried a standard OBJ import but that gave me shading errors. I tried the idea of deleting the normal tags and fiddled with the phong tag from 40° down to 1° but I have to say it didn't work for me on this geometry. Likewise I had a go with the script tip from L_AN but unfortunately that really screwed up my model, breaking a lot of the booleaned parts of the logo plaque. I imagine that a lot of these techniques can be dependent on the type of model you are building.

Can I just thank all of you for all the ideas on this problem, hopefully it helped some others too.

Cheers
Rich
www.loopcorp.com

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4083.16 In reply to 4083.15 
Hi Rich,

> I can say it seemed to struggle with a model which had some very long, thin triangles on it.

So often times that is also related to vertex normals not coming through.

I was looking at the documentation for the C4D Maxwell plug-in, and it seemed to say that the normal tag was ignored on objects that are not entirely made up of triangles.

So you may need to change the "Output" setting when exporting from MoI to "Output: Triangles only", it looks like you currently have it set to "Output: Quads & Triangles".

Possibly once you have it set to that you may not need to dice up polygons anymore, but if that's something that Maxwell is just generally sensitive to then it still could be necessary.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4083.17 In reply to 4083.16 
An other solution is to bypass any 3d package and import the model in maxwell studio direclty.
It was working really well with normals shading when I try it that way ( after having lot of trouble with MoI model
reexported from 3dsmax or modo ... it has nothing to blame against MoI of course).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Rich, Michael is right in his description of the situation with Maxwell. With exports in triangulated OBJ format everything must be OK, but working with this in Cinema is horribly (selecting, unwrapping, etc.).
I use n-gons mesh and triangulate it just before hitting render button. The trick is in triangulation without breaking vertex normals. For this I take a few steps:

1. Select imported polygon object(s)

2. Functions > Remove N-gons

3. Select all points

4. Structure > Connect

5. Render Scene

> I also tried a standard OBJ import but that gave me shading errors.

Hm, I have worked well in Cinema 4d R11.532. Of course, "Import normals" checkbox must be set.

Regards
L_AN
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4083.19 In reply to 4083.18 
Hi L_AN, thanks for those steps on triangulating within C4D without losing normals!

Of course, if it is possible to do that with a few manual steps like that, it seems like it should also be possible for the Maxwell plug-in to do the equivalent thing so that you would not have to worry about this issue at all.

I would recommend contacting Maxwell support and asking them to improve their plugin to remove this problem where their plugin ignores the normal tag on all but triangulated geometry. If they need triangles, there should be some method in C4D that will allow them access to C4D's triangulation which includes the normals. That's what C4D's own built-in renderer does.

Including the normals is a very important thing for any rendering program, so they should never be ignored like that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-6  7-19