3dm problem

Next
I have a poly model built in Cinema 4D on the Mac which I want to rebuild parts of in Moi 2.

I exported as Rhino but when I open it in Moi I get no data at all. Thinking it may be some quirk of the Mac file system, I opened it in Rhino on Windows and resaved from there but still nothing. I saved down from Rhino as a v3 file and that doesn't open in Moi either. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers
Rich
www.loopcorp.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4074.2 In reply to 4074.1 
If it's a polygon volume you can't have this one in Moi!
It's not nurbs!
The only thing you can make is import the structure with this plugin!
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1099.1
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4074.3 In reply to 4074.1 
Hi Rich - MoI is focused on editing NURBS surfaces and not polygon data.

So the fundamental problem is that you're trying to import polygon data into MoI and not NURBS data.

Rhino 3DM files can contain a variety of different kinds of things in them, like NURBS surfaces and solids, polygon mesh data, dimension annotations, spotlights, etc... of all those kinds of things MoI only reads the NURBS data.

When you did the export from Cinema4D to 3DM, it created a 3DM file that contained only polygon mesh objects in it and not any NURBS objects in it, so that's why nothing came into MoI.

If you want to directly edit a polygon mesh object, you'll need to do that in a polygon mesh modeler instead of MoI.

If you just want to use the polygon mesh object as a kind of visual guide, then that is possible by exporting from Cinema4D to OBJ format, and then using the OBJ to Wireframe 3DM converter available here: http://moi3d.com/wiki/Resources#Obj23dmWireframe_converter - that will convert the wire outline of all the polygons in the OBJ file into line segments in a 3DM file, and then MoI will be able to open that 3DM file and you'll see a wireframe of your mesh object in MoI.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks for the replies Pilou and Michael.

I do understand about Moi not editing the poly meshes, I just wanted them as size guides for completely new geometry built in Moi. As I said, that came over in Rhino but sadly not in Moi. I did try OBJto3DM but that too, seemed to give me no data that I could see in Moi. Although I am doing this on a Mac via Parallels so any number of things could be getting stuck in translation. I'll give Pilou's suggestion a go and report back. Thanks again.

Cheers
Rich
www.loopcorp.com

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4074.5 In reply to 4074.2 
Obj23dmWireframe worked. Thanks a lot guys.

Cheers
Rich
www.loopcorp.com

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4074.6 In reply to 4074.4 
Hi Rich,

> As I said, that came over in Rhino but sadly not in Moi.

Yup, unlike MoI Rhino does support working to some degree with polygon mesh data at runtime. It's actually something that can frequently cause confusion over there since NURBS data and poly mesh data are pretty different, and you have to use different tools on different kinds of objects.

In the future it may be possible to do something similar with MoI as well, but since it is an area that can easily lead to confusion it's not something that I've focused on for MoI yet.

> I did try OBJto3DM but that too, seemed to give me no data that I could see in Moi.

Can you please post the OBJ file that didn't work, or e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com if you want to keep it private?

Then I could take a look at your OBJ file and try and see why OBJto3DM is not working with it.

EDIT: looks like you've got it figured out! :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All