Octane 2.43

Next
I just installed Octane RC Beta 2.43 and I must say it's pretty impressive.
MoI exports and Octane imports .obj files seemingly perfectly.
Octane is high on my list as an affordable primary rendering tool.
With a CUDA graphics card it is really fast, as well.
cheers,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4043.2 In reply to 4043.1 
That sounds good to hear - are the "artifacts" that was discussed here now fixed?

Seems like my investment may soon pay off with this package.

I've stopped keeping up with day to day development with the package but I'm wondering, does Octane take advantage of >multiple NVidia< cards or the SLI configuration?

One of the first things I installed on my new 64-bit / 6-core box was Octane to watch it rip though rendering some loaded objects.

Having recently bought a second GTX 460, I'm finding NOTHING I have uses that extra GPU power, not even 3D Coat.

I know Octane has a drop down for selecting a GPU out of multiples, but unless I was doing something wrong, I wasn't able to select them both??

Dunno, I'll try again when I get some time.

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4043.3 In reply to 4043.2 
Hi Will ...
Can't answer question about multiple cards ... I only have a 9800 GT ... pretty basic but it does have CUDA and it works great for me.
I don't see any artifacts on the one rendering I have done since loading the new version. I really like being able to change the character of the materials on the fly while the rendering is happening.
I have a lot to learn with this product but what I see looks good so far.
The biggest problem I had was trying to find out how and where to download the upgrade. Finally realized it was the CUDA download ... I thought that was just a driver update.
cheers
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Octane does support using multiple cards for rendering (not in SLI mode though, they have to work as separate cards). But that currently depends on whether your card works with the CUDA 3.0 drivers or not. CUDA 3.0 version of Octane supports multi-gpu rendering and CUDA 3.2 version of Octane currently doesn't (NVIDIA made some changes to cuda that broke Octane's multi-gpu code, they are fixing it). I know the 480 and 470 cards are compatible with C3.0, so perhaps 460 is too.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4043.5 In reply to 4043.4 
You can use multiple 460 gpu's with the cuda 3.0 build but it won't see all the cores of the 460 (which is fully supported with the CUDA 3.2 toolkit.) After the multi-gpu re-write, all current generation CUDA gpu's will be running with full cores.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4043.6 In reply to 4043.5 
It may have been cause I was using the demo, not sure.

Anyway, I disabled the SLI and from my account page, I downloaded the full version.

I had a good play around with it yesterday afternoon. I found myself turning the samples down to 3072 or 4096. The images would really look good after about 2200 samples for what I was playing around with.

Its coming along...

I still can't help but wish it was Thea at times though LOL.

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All