Create Special Spring

Next
Hi...

How I can produce yellow spring like image below in MoI3D.
I have tried sweep, but cant get suitable result.

Thanks
Image Attachments:
Size: 164.2 KB, Downloaded: 153 times, Dimensions: 981x536px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4036.2 In reply to 4036.1 
Hi Anis,

> I have tried sweep, but cant get suitable result.

Can you please attach the 3DM file of what you were trying to sweep? That would help me to see what might be going wrong with your specific case.

Most likely the tricky part for that shape will be getting the rail curve formed properly - that would be an easier task in a program that had some deformation tools where you could draw a straight helix to start with and then deform it - Rhino has some tools like that so that might be a good tool for making this particular kind of bent spring shape.

It looks like your spring does have 2 straight sections on it though, so those parts could be done with a regular helix. And possibly you could use the ToroidalHelix plug-in command for MoI and then trim out a 90 degree section of it to get the bent part. See here for the ToroidalHelix command:
http://moi3d.com/forum/display.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1519.12

But I guess that the bent portion you have there is kind of slanted? That may difficult to do properly.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4036.3 In reply to 4036.2 
Hi guys,

One trick I use to do this is after generating a regular spring using a helix and sweep is to hide the spring solid, then turn on the control points of the helix, select a group, then using the rotate handle bar I change the center of rotation to where I want it, then rotate those control points until I achieve the desired effect. See JPEG.

Michael T.
Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu http://www.coroflot.com/DesignsByTuttle
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All