Insets Along Curved/Tapered Surface
All  1-4  5-8

Previous
Next
First, thanks for all the help!

I'd accomplished something very similar to your suggestion shortly after posting the question. We're getting close!

However, as I'd stated in the original post, the grooves are not sharp extrusions inward. Instead they are kind of half "hot-dog" shapes removed from the base mesh. I'd said something about being able to create a cylinder with hemispherical end caps and removing them with a boolean operation.

So the current state of affairs is attached to this post. I drew a vertical line, projected it onto the curved surface, and then used the resulting curve as a sweep curve. I then capped those ends with spheres and bool-added them together and removed them from the base.

So far so good.

However, I can't add fillets to the edges of the removed areas. The boolean removals worked fine (I think) but I get no result when I select the resulting edges and try to apply a fillet of any radius.

Again, many many thanks for the help. If I can get filleted edges I'll have the solution to the problem.

Cheers!

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4010.6 In reply to 4010.5 
Hi Skwerm, sorry I had missed that part about the indents being capsule-like.

So yeah the basic process will still be similar, you've got to try and model the capsule parts as some kind of solid object first and then use that to cut the main body with a boolean.

You're having some fillet troubles in this case because of a little tiny edge in your booleaned result here (looking here from below upwards):

Zooming in on that area you can see this little tiny edge fragment, shown selected here:

That little edge corresponds to the seam edge of the dome part of your capsule object:

That's going to be a problem for filleting, because the filleter is not able to totally consume an edge like that away, the fillet is going to be limited in size up to the point where it hits the end of that little edge, which is only a very small distance.

So you're going to want to get those dome pieces rotated around a bit so that when they leave their imprint they won't have such a small bit of edge left in the surviving piece.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4010.7 In reply to 4010.5 
Hi Skwerm, also instead of rotating the domes, an easier solution would be to just move the cutting objects just a little bit outwards before booleaning them so that there won't be that little edge part left towards the inside.

If you move it about 0.03 units outwards it would do the trick.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4010.8 In reply to 4010.6 
Hi Skwerm, I've attached an example here - this one should now fillet more easily after it is booleaned.

The pieces are just very slightly positioned further out from your previous one.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-4  5-8