Very sharp corners and fillets
All  1-3  4-9

Previous
Next
4000.4 In reply to 4000.1 
Hi Jim, so the problem seems to be that some of the surfaces of that little pocket piece were not close enough to each other to be joined into a shared joined edge which is needed to do an edge fillet.

The problem is in these edges here:

If you zoom in a bit and hide the faces, leaving only edges to be displayed, you can see that there are actually 2 separate edges in those areas instead of one common joined edge between the surfaces there:

So in other words, it's kind of like a gap or hole in the model in that spot, the edges are not joined into a single unified edge right there.

So probably that will need to be repaired, I'll take a bit more of a look in a minute here.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4000.5 In reply to 4000.1 
Hi Jim, I've attached an updated version of your model that has those gaps repaired in it.

I fixed them by deleting these faces here from each side:

And then building a new surface there from the 4 surrounding edges using Network, and then joining those to the main body which then gives a solid with all joined edges - this version can now be filleted:

The above is with a fillet radius of 0.04, tha'ts about as high as you can go before some of the fillets in the narrowest area start to collide into one another.

The sharp corner does get filleted, but the corner patch there is a bit funky and lumpy, it's kind of hard on the filleting mechanism to handle sharp corners very well.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4000.6 In reply to 4000.5 
I fooled around with this and came up with that result...

Is there any way to rebuild that corner patch to be tangent with the rest??? ( I think not without network tangent patches )
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4000.7 In reply to 4000.6 
Hi Burr,

> Is there any way to rebuild that corner patch to be
> tangent with the rest??? ( I think not without network
> tangent patches )

I think it is actually tangent to those other surfaces, but it ends up having some bunching together making a kind of a lump in the middle of it.

But no, right now there isn't a good way to rebuild a surface and also make it tangent - that is one of the tools that I want to work on for v3.

One thing you can do though is to switch the fillet option to Shape : G2 Blend instead of the regular circular type fillet, it kind of makes a better shaped corner in that area though, like this:

So if you do get a kind of mutated corner patch you can try switching that Shape option to some other fillet styles and one of those may possibly be better formed.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4000.8 In reply to 4000.7 
Ah yes, taht is a better patch than I had.... I was trying to delete it and rebuild it.. didnt think to try a g2 instead. Thanks again.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Wow, thanks for looking into this in such detail Michael! I'll give that a try later on.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-3  4-9