Adding "inset" detailing

Next
So I was fiddling around with this today - a Tron Legacy ID disk (yes I'm aware it's not exactly a perfect replica, but the basic idea is there - which is good enough for learning purposes), after the triumph of following along with the Rhino tutorial, I figured I was on a roll...

And was wondering how to get the little inset detailing like you see here:

Basically what's the best approach to adding details like these insets (or whatever the technical term is for them) for example?

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3985.2 In reply to 3985.1 
Hi Jim, you'll need to create a solid that is pushing downwards a ways into your object and then use that solid as the cutting object in boolean difference to cut it away from the main piece.

But since you want a piece that follows the same general shape as the original outer surface, you'll probably want to build that cutting object solid by trimming out a small portion of that original outer surface and then probably using Extrude to extrude that smaller surface fragment into the cutting object.

See this previous post for an example:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3024.4

Also check out here for some ideas on cutting grooves into things:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3859.2

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3985.3 In reply to 3985.2 
Thanks! I'll check those out.

By the way, the more I use Moi, the more I love the simple to use UI. It's hands down the most graceful UI I've ever used, I don't know specifically what it is, but you've really pared things down to their essentials, yet it seems like it's still a really powerful tool! I wish some of the other tools would follow suit (Blender, this especially means you!).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3985.4 In reply to 3985.3 
Thanks Jim, I'm glad that you are liking MoI's UI!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All