Problems with DirectX 9c on old laptop

Next
I have loaded DirectX 9c on an older laptop. MOI is starting with the tools on the right and the coordinates along the bottom, but, receiving repeated messages within the working panel. Message indicates an older video card or acceleration problem. An earlier similar problem reported indicated that I needed 32-bit color. I have run the diagnostics and was able to see the rotating box correctly on tests for DirectX 7, 8 and 9. No Problems Found. Here is my system display information...

Name: S3 VIRGE MX
Manu: S3
Chip Type: S3 VIRGE/MX
DAC Type: S3 SDAC
App. total mem: 4.0 MB
Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (24 bit)(60 Hz)
Monitor: Default
DirectDraw Accel: Enabled
Direct3D Accel: Enabled
Test 3D ran correctly as mentioned.

Display Repeated...
Unable to create Direct3D9 device.
Possibly an unsupported older video card, or hardware acceleration is disabled.
Check....Troubleshoot

MOI Error Log...

CreateDevice failed hr = ....

Is it possible to show the rotating box correctly and still need 32 bit color?

Thanks
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3983.2 In reply to 3983.1 
Hi Bob,

> Is it possible to show the rotating box
> correctly and still need 32 bit color?

Yes, it's possible to have Direct3D9 set up properly on your machine, but your video card is too old and does not have the basic functionality that MoI in particular requires in order to run.

That S3 VIRGE MX video card is really old - more than 10 years old which by 3D graphics card technology standards makes it an ancient artifact from the distant past... And that's actually one that was a pretty weak card for 3D graphics display work when it was initially released way back then.

There is just not much chance of getting much 3D functionality out of that card beyond the spinning cube test.

The particular thing that MoI needs is for the card to be able to display 32-bit color depth. That's a problem with that card because of the extremely limited video memory that is has available to it:

App. total mem: 4.0 MB

That's hardly enough memory just to hold the pixels for the screen, let along trying to build textures and other stuff.

Sorry, the video card in that machine is just not going to cut it for any kind of 3D oriented software at all.

- Michael

EDITED: 17 Jan 2011 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3983.3 In reply to 3983.2 
Thanks, Michael...I suspected as much. I called Toshiba customer support to see if they knew if I could replace the graphics card....the rep had never heard of the Toshiba Tecra...The local repair shop tech just laughed...watch for me on Antiques Roadshow...Bob
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3983.4 In reply to 3983.3 
Hi Bob, yeah unfortunately the video card system in laptops is not as easily upgraded or changed as it is with a desktop system.

With laptops some various pieces are often times custom built for each model since they need to pack a lot of stuff into a small space.

Most of the time with laptops the only things with sort of standard connections (and therefore easily upgradable) are system RAM and the hard drive. So that makes it a lot more difficult to rejuvenate an old laptop than an old desktop machine.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All