G2 continuity completely manual with MOI? Without automation, only geometric constructions. Is it possible?

Next
Hello All!
It 's the first time I write in this forum. I want first of all, to congratulate Michael Gibson for giving life to this excellent software.
I am a designer and used for a long time Alias Studio. This software is extremely powerful but also extremely expensive! OK, there are also more precise software ... but they are still more expensive (ICEMSurf for example).
The strength of Alias, for example, is the ability to create "quasi-A-class" surface. But even the possibility of using a story editor who is very flexible and able to maintain continuity between the surfaces (G0, G1, G2,...) and it does while change the curves of origin... Other power related to history is to define the degree and the number of subdivisions of a surface (explicit control)! For professional use, these characteristics are essential.

OK, do not expect to find all these features in MOI, but maybe you can get close to the result using geometric constructions!
My question is for Michael: It is possible through the use of curves, projections and geometric constructions obtained manually (ie without the use of automatic control) G2 continuity between adjacent surfaces more (even among a untrimmed surface and an trimmed with different degree)? If this was understandable, later on, we could create a script that speed some of these lengthy procedures.

But with the experience and share it could get a good result and a correct approach to modeling with MOI (there are some principles that should always be observed!). Obviously the result should not be to get the same things at the same speed but simply to include a method for modeling because they are more mature rules and ideas that always have value, and even more in the professional field.
MOI users could achieve, over time, more satisfaction and MOI could grow in many directions.
I hope this is not a secret of you mathematicians (joke ^___^).

Best regards and wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to All ^__^

Ferrozzo
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
3935.2 In reply to 3935.1 
Hi Ferrozzo, It's not really feasible to do G2 constructions manually. It's just too difficult to place each control point in the proper location by hand.

Currently you can get G2 continuity in MoI by using either the Fillet or Blend tools.

To use Fillet you make surfaces that initially have a sharp G0 continuity where they meet, and then put in a fillet which then has an option for G2 continuity for the fillet surface.

For Blend you leave some space in between the 2 surfaces and then use Blend to create a smooth in between piece, it also has an option for G2 continuity in it as well.

See here for some more information:

http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference7.htm#fillet
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference7.htm#blend

In the future I do want to add more continuity tools, including one for editing an untrimmed surface to make it adapt with continuity to some other one. But that kind of detailed surfacing stuff is a pretty advanced modeling technique - it has been a priority for MoI to focus on simple modeling tools and simple techniques first.

- Michael

EDITED: 23 Dec 2010 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All