Prototype completed
All  1  2-5

Previous
Next
3920.2 In reply to 3920.1 
That's great Bob, I'm glad you were able to get it completed!

How long is it expected to take to get the iron casted version from the foundry?

Do you send the CAD data to the foundry directly, or do you give the foundry a 3D printed physical part for them to use?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3920.3 In reply to 3920.2 
Good Morning, Michael...

When I pickup the 3D printed output, I'll smooth out any small ridges, etc., manually. The 3D printed output will go to the foundry directly. The foundry will make a split impression in green sand. The split will be made at the chamfer line. If the foundry is not busy they can cast 1-3 prototypes in a couple of hours. The cast result is returned to me and I test them and sometimes bring in a variety of professional pitchers of varying ringer averages (20%-70%). They test the shoes and help me decide if I go into production. I have to send one of the prototypes to the National Horseshoe Pitching Assn. Two directors have to approve the design based on specifications developed. If I go into production, I send the cast or printed prototype to a patternmaking shop (Galena, Ill.) to make a split mold. The patternmaker makes two molds by splitting the horseshoe at the chamfer line. These are permanent molds made from aluminum. The split molds go to the foundry for production casting. This is not an inexpensive process, so, you don't want to make a mistake in the acceptance by the pitching fraternity. NHPA charges $300 for the first year license. The patternmaker charges ~$1,000 per split mold. There is also the cost of casting in ductile iron. I don't make any money from designing and producing horseshoes. It's basically a labor of love and a retirement project. It began with a belief that I could do things with 3D design that were not available to the traditional methods of creating horseshoes.

The only other way to produce horseshoes is drop forging. Unfortunately, it is much more expensive to create the molds and most drop forging is now done in China. I was only interested in a U.S. produced product.

Finally, there are some raised characters on the previously attached prototype that I'll emboss for the final 3D output. A foundry does not like vertical sides on anything, thus, the need for filleting and chamfering everything.

Regards...Bob
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3920.4 In reply to 3920.3 
Hi Bob, thanks for sharing those details, it's cool to hear how it will work and it's always interesting to find out how production happens for a project!

If you get a chance when you get some of the physical parts it would be cool to see some photos too.

Thanks,
- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3920.5 In reply to 3920.4 
Good Evening, Michael...

I will be replacing the fonts on my prototype. I wanted to standardize the text on all of my designs. I was finding some characters within fonts would not chamfer and/or fillet. I've spent the day downloading and testing various fonts and think I finally found one on "dafont" that has a very simple character structure without serifs and the ascenders and descenders are of equal weight. As soon as I receive the current prototype back from the 3D printer and the result of the ductile iron casting I'll show the results.
Regards...Bob
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-5