Creating a Plane from Draw Curve shapes?
All  1-8  9-11

Previous
Next
3898.9 In reply to 3898.8 
Good Morning, Michael...The problem with my inability to extrude the shape of a rectangle was
my mistake. Each time I created a triangle shape with the Line tool, I was only extruding the
lines and not the plane created by the lines. It was not until I realized that I needed to check
the "CAP" box that I was able to extrude the triangular shape and not just the lines. I'm OK
now.

Most of the other packages I've been testing do not allow you to chamfer or fillet non-parallel
edges. It is important that for foundry casting purposes that I can "draft" all vertical edges.
With MOI I was able to chamfer the edges of a triangle and further fillet a chamfered side.
The image that I included of the two triangles was to demonstrate I was able to do both...
I'm excited about that. The very expensive CAD/CAM packages have a "draft" option that
allows you to set a degree of draft in most cases 3 degrees. I even have a router bit that
is specifically for that purpose. Using the MOI "chamfer" option allows me to do exactly
that, as long as I choose a value that equals the length of the height of the triangle.

The small triangle you pointed out was because I had not selected a "Choice 1" that was
equal to the highest line of the triangle. Another 1/32 or 1/64 would have taken care of
that nicely when chamfering.

Sorry for any confusion. I am happy with all that I've checked out so far.

The only missing piece for me is the calculation of volume. However, it's easily
resolved by writing out the selection in .stl format and opening it in either Minmagics or
Netfabb, both of which have volume calculations and check for problems with the .stl
format.

In case I hadn't mentioned, I design and produce professional pitching horseshoes. I
am experimenting with designing using 3D packages, creating .stl output and creating
my prototypes using 3D printers. The 3D printed output goes directly to the foundry
for prototype casting. This eliminates the requirement to create my prototypes out of
beechwood or mahogany. What is critical is that the output volume wise, equals
8.9 cubic inches of volume in order to cast a horseshoe weighing 2 pounds 8 ounces.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but, thought it would help to reduce the confusion.
I am attaching a .jpg image of a prototype just completed and cast in ductile
iron. You can reach me directly at bobrass@verizon.net if you want to communicate
directly.

Regards...Bob
Image Attachments:
Size: 160.9 KB, Downloaded: 42 times, Dimensions: 1024x768px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3898.10 In reply to 3898.9 
Hi Bob - in the future I want to add a "Tapered extrusion" type function which I think is what you need for your draft angle stuff.

Another way to accomplish that kind of thing apart from chamfers is to offset your profile curve, and then move the offset upwards, and then loft between those 2 curves to produce a tapered object.

See here for an example:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=941.5

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3898.11 In reply to 3898.10 
Thanks, Michael...

My next requirement is to go through the total process...from design to prototype. I can
see no reason why MOI cannot handle everything that I've not been able to find from
other packages. Thanks Michael for a wonderful piece of software. It's time to drag
out my Javascript books and brush up on plugin development. Regards...Bob
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-8  9-11