Alias Sketch

Next
The other day i was comparing programs for sketching and i saw the new version of autodesk sketchbook pro, but then i was linked to sketchbook designer, thats a very cool program that combines paint and vector workflows. One of the things that attracted me was the ability to draw a simple hand drawing curve or circle and then the program made it as smooth as you want. Other thing was something i think can be added to MoI... You have a curve and you can modify it by control points but control points that are over the curve like when you draw a trough points curve, and then wen you clic in a portion of the curve that has no control points, it adds a new one. Thats really great!!

Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXENHOzf3AE

Then I saw it integrated to 3D!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K1TTtwUu6E&feature=fvw
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3848.2 In reply to 3848.1 
Hi Ed,

> You have a curve and you can modify it by
> control points but control points that are over the
> curve like when you draw a trough points curve

One of the problems with that kind of an approach (editing by points constrained to be directly on the curve) is that it tends to introduce wiggles.

You can see a good example of this kind of problem right in that first video that you linked to - the operator started with a curve like this:

Then there was an adjustment made to a point in this area of the curve:

But notice that this other area further along the curve got a bulge in it, where it actually pulled a fair distance away from the original shape which was previously hugging right along that background line:

So they had to add in another point to take care of the bulging that was a side effect from editing the first point. That kind of fighting against bulging is something that tends to go along with that kind of an editing approach, it's one of the main reasons why I have not tried to make an editing system like that in MoI.

In the Inventor video you may notice that he uses very simple curves in there, mostly with just 3 edit points on them. That editing method does work pretty well with a small number of points in them, but then gets frustrating when trying to work with curves made up of more points than that.

Editing the control point hull like MoI is focused on doesn't put so much pressure on the curve to make it forced to go through each point - that lesser amount of forced pressure on the curve helps to make the edits avoid bulging side effects in other nearby areas of the curve. So that's why editing by moving the hull points tends to be a better system.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3848.3 In reply to 3848.1 
Hi Ed, one thing that I should mention though is that for the case where you initially created a curve using the "Through points" method in MoI, I do want to set it up so that you can edit those original points and have the curve update. That would be some part of an extended history editing mechanism I think.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
That would be great!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Skecthbook is not only 2D prog?
So curves must be more easy to manage?
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3848.6 In reply to 3848.5 
Hi Pilou,

> Skecthbook is not only 2D prog?

Yes, I believe so.

> So curves must be more easy to manage?

It depends on the particular technology that is used for the curves. There are several kinds of curve mechanisms that work the same between 2D or 3D curves, but there are also some that are focused on 2D curves only.

It's likely that sketchbook uses NURBS curves though since that is what other parts of the Alias modeling software has used in the past though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All