relative & absolute angles

Next
Hi
If I rotate an object the angle number are displayed in absolute number starting 9 => 0°. Can I change that so that 0° is where I set the first reference point?

Thanks for any hints
nos
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3840.2 In reply to 3840.1 
Hi nos, are you talking about the Transform > Rotate command here, or are you talking about rotating by grabbing the handle on the edit frame?

For the Transform > Rotate command there will be actually 2 angles shown when you are in the command. One will be the angle readout beneath the xyz input control on bottom toolbar. This readout is always present for every command when you are picking points - it shows the angle in the construction plane formed by the line between the previous picked point and the current point, with 0 being the x axis.

But there is a second angle that is specific to the Rotate command itself, it shows up in the upper-right command options when running that command, here:

That one does show the angle with 0° being along the first reference point direction as you are asking.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
ah, I see, the rotate command counts form 359 down when rotating clockwise, but when I write -10° it works (rotating clockwise to 350). Is it possible to configure the rotate command that is shows +/- counting from 0-359?

thanks
nos
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3840.4 In reply to 3840.3 
Hi nos, the rotate command will always display its numeric feedback as you move the mouse around as a 0 to 360 angle in the counter-clockwise direction, which is the most common way that CAD programs behave. But like you mentioned you can still type in negative inputs to give angles in the clockwise direction instead.

There isn't any checkbox-like option to change the display, but the numeric feedback is done through a script function so it is possible to modify the UI to use +/- angles if you want.

But I'm not sure if I understand what you want, you wrote "+/- counting from 0-359?" which I don't think is possible, do you mean having a range of 0 to +180 or 0 to -180 ?

Like for example would you want the angle that currently shows as 270 degrees to instead show as -90 ?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3840.5 In reply to 3840.4 
hi michael

Using the rotate tool:
If I rotate counter-clockwise it works from 0° up which allows me to easily set a relative angel. But rotating clockwise it counts down from 360. So using the rotation tool clockwise I have to calculate most of the time 360-<the angle I want to apply>. So here I would prefer that it starts from 0° counting up with a negative prefix. So counter-clockwise: 0 to ###, clockwise 0 to -###.

Would it be possible to change this in the configuration somehow?

~nos
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3840.6 In reply to 3840.5 
Hi nos,

> Would it be possible to change this in the configuration somehow?

Sorry, no - the rotate command does not have any concept in it of knowing whether you are moving the mouse in a clockwise or counter-clockwise manner.

It is not even required for you to move the mouse around in rotate at all - you can just click an origin point and then type in a rotation angle.

> So using the rotation tool clockwise I have to calculate
> most of the time 360-<the angle I want to apply>.

Sorry, I'm not sure if I understand this part - do you mean you're calculating this just on the visual feedback information you get while you are moving the mouse around?

Because if you want to apply a specific clockwise angle you can do that just by entering it in with a negative sign in front of it, for example type in -90 to rotate clockwise by 90 degrees.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
> Like for example would you want the angle that currently shows as 270 degrees to instead show as -90 ?

yes exactly.

> Sorry, I'm not sure if I understand this part - do you mean you're calculating this just on the visual feedback information you get while you > are moving the mouse around?

Yes set the angle that it looks visually right and then change the angel to an even number. Sometimes if I apply an angel it isn't important if it's 32° or 34°. But I don't wont an angel which is 32.354° cause if I build this part it's unlike harder to assemble it.

~nos
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3840.8 In reply to 3840.7 
Hi nos - you can try the attached modified version of Rotate to see if that helps.

To apply the modified version, copy the attached Rotate.htm file over top of the original version inside of the \commands subfolder inside of MoI's main installation folder. You may want to make a copy of the original one first so you can easily restore it if needed.

The new version will give a negative number readout for angles between 180 and 360 degrees. So for example if you go to what would have previously been an angle that displayed 270 degrees, it will instead show -90 with this modified version.

It won't matter which direction you move the mouse in though, whether you move it clockwise to the 270 degree mark or counter-clockwise to that position it will read -90 in either case.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
That works great, thanks alot
~nos