3DConnexion Space navigator and Moi
All  1-5  6-7

Previous
Next
3823.6 In reply to 3823.5 
Hi Chris, I did a bit of testing and I did confirm that the herky-jerky type behavior in MoI is indeed due to the dynamic feedback that MoI gives you on every mouse move, like when you hover your mouse over a curve for example it highlights with a glow around it.

When this happens concurrently with the space navigator changing the view all the time, it makes for a lot of additional calculations happening which produces the stuttering. It can be less pronounced when in Split view mode (with 4 viewports tiled on the screen) since the smaller window size in split view mode involves reading back less data from the video card on every mouse move.

Rhino does not have that kind of additional highlight feedback on just moving the mouse over objects, so that is one reason why you see different behavior in Rhino.

I think this is fixable in MoI though, I think it should not be too difficult to figure out some kind of throttling strategy to do something like ignore mouse moves (or only use 1 per second or something like that) while the space navigator is being used to manipulate the view. I should be able to make that happen in v3, I've added it to my todo list.

Thanks,
- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
3823.7 In reply to 3823.6 
Hi Michael,

I have also noticed this slight jerking movement using the Spacenavigator, but didn't think it was a MoI thing so I live with it, it's not bad but as Chris mentions it is smoother with other applications.

The reason for using a 3D Mouse is so you can manipulate the model while picking objects at the same time and if you can improve on this in V3 then it would be very welcomed and the workflow would be less distracting.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-5  6-7