New to moi

Next
Hi All,

I am new here. And I am playing with the demo.

I have been hearing a few people rave about moi and decided to give it a go. I am currently learning modo and heard that it is easy to go from moi to modo.

I am trying to build a cap and was wondering how I would make the extrusions in moi. Please see images below. The second image shows it partially built all in modo.

http://alternativeskin.com/ads/3d/modo/cap/IMG_8168-sml.jpg

http://alternativeskin.com/ads/3d/modo/cap/cap2.jpg

I am liking what I see so far with moi and wished it was on the mac side as well.

Thanks

KJ
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3773.2 In reply to 3773.1 
Hi Kevin, welcome to MoI and to the forum!

> I am trying to build a cap and was wondering how
> I would make the extrusions in moi.

Are you talking about all those little teethy things?

Or when you say "the extrusions", do you mean these extruded pieces that you have in the modo version here:

For the little teethy things, you would probably build one little solid for just one tooth to start with, and then use Transform > Array > Circular to repeat it around into a circular pattern of a whole bunch of little teeth, then use boolean union to merge those into the main revolved solid, then fillet to blend the edges.

That may potentially be a quite difficult fillet case though since there is not much space there and you're going to have a lot of stuff kind of colliding together. It's also probably going to be a really heavy model because you're going to have a large quantity of little rounded fillet surfaces in there.

Sometimes things that have a kind of melty look to them are better done as sub-d surfaces instead.

Things that are more mechanical in shape and more driven by 2D profile curves are good candidates for NURBS modeling instead. Your case here is not quite totally clearly in this area though.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3773.3 In reply to 3773.2 
Hi Michael,

I want to build to entire cap in moi, or at least try to.

I was referring to the "teethy" things.

Is it possible in moi to bring in images as references?

Thank you for your response Michael.

KJ
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3773.4 In reply to 3773.3 
Hi Kevin,

> Is it possible in moi to bring in images as references?

Yup, in the side pane go to the "View" palette, and there is an Image command under there that you can use to add in background images.

See here for some more details:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference5.htm#image

So those teeth things are somewhat at a boundary between a melty thing and a mechanical thing, I'm not so sure they are an ideal candidate for modeling in MoI rather than in sub-d. But does that general process of building one little individual tooth solid and then replicating it, boolean union, then fillet make sense? That would probably be how I would probably try.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3773.5 In reply to 3773.4 
Here's a quick shot...

But just his part alone is 10mb..As Michael points out, usually with super fine detail stuff you would just use a rendering to show this part.. But if you have a massive graphics box, maybe you want to model all the detail..:o

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3773.6 In reply to 3773.5 
A sample file setup to go may show how a bit faster...

In this zip is a file setup with some curves and a revolve solid (from the orange curve)

If you do a boolean difference of the green arcs from the solid, you can then fillet the top surface .75 inches...Then select the red object and extrude it .75. Now array circle the red solid with a 60 count. Pick the center origin as the array circle point. Down at the very bottom. (After I delete the ones just below the first boolean cuts..6 total) Now boolean union the whole solids batch and run fillet of .25..Should end up with this...

The dims wont work for you..It's just to show the toolset working...From here you would start creating your other pieces in the same way and adding them to the solid.....Good luck..

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3773.7 In reply to 3773.6 
Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.

KJ
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All