Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Yeah DWG or DXF is a must for me, im fed up of playing with PDFs (and still no groups, ggrrr!!!!). I think the time spent making a dxf importer would be well worth it in terms of attracting more folks to moi. most other software worth its salt has a dwg importer these days, isn't there a generic one that someone has made that simply translates the lines and coordinates? Im mean in terms of 2D from the outside it would seem like its just basic lines and arcs, certainly compared to nurbs complexity. I think holding off on this is a big oversite to be honest but its michaels call.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3765.7 In reply to 3765.6 
Hi Rob, well unfortunately they are pretty complex formats to deal with well, particularly DWG.

Autodesk does not document the DWG format, actually it's more the reverse where they have actually tried to make DWG difficult for other programs to read. They only document DXF.

So this makes DWG difficult to deal with directly, you really have to use a library to make it possible to deal with DWG and the libraries are pretty expensive.

Since Autodesk has actually put effort into trying to prevent other programs from reading and writing DWG, it just makes me kind of think "forget about it, that's such a mess I won't even fuss with that" or something along those lines.

DXF though is on my list of things to add in to MoI, it will probably be the next file format that I add in support for. But adding in support for file formats involves quite a lot of work, especially lots of testing with other programs.

Things that involve lots of work take lots of time and do not happen all at once...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3765.8 In reply to 3765.7 
DXF would be fine and like you say most programs that support DWG also support DXF so no problems there and it would seem DXF doesnt change nearly as much as DWG so no doubt a safer bet. Im glad its next on your file importer list as im sure for many moi is one part of a larger toolset and getting the base information into moi is an important phase in the pipeline. Good stuff.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-4  5-8