Dealing with block instances

Next
Hi Michael,

Could there be an option for moi to recognize block instances from rhino and bring them in as surfaces?
I often deal with files with blocks in them, and these don't appear at all in moi;

hopefully we will get instances in moi down the road , that can also be exported as such in LWO format (not sure if this is possible).
What would be good at least is if block instances from Rhino could be read as instances in moi, and vice versa.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3734.2 In reply to 3734.1 
Hi okapi, in the future I do want to have an instance mechanism in MoI which would then likely give a good thing to map Rhino block instances to.

Currently what happens with blocks is that they are read in as "round trip data", which is stored in an internal table so that if you save the file back out again all those blocks will then get written back to the file. MoI does this with the various kinds of 3DM data that it does not deal with currently, like blocks, spotlights, dimensions, etc...

I didn't want to just automatically explode blocks into individual pieces when reading the file, because that would then significantly alter the structure of the file if you just opened it and saved it back again out of MoI.

So anyway, currently to make those block instances show up in MoI you need to explode them yourself in Rhino first before sending the model to MoI.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3734.3 In reply to 3734.2 
Hi Michael,
thanks for the info.
I will look forward to the implementation; I am sure it will be well thought out!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All