Space-Navigator: Rotating to slow

Next
Hey Micheal, is there any possibility to increase the rotation "input" in MoI.
Panning and Zooming seem to be fine but rotating is too slow in comparison and from my SpaceNav-Rhino-experience.
Even when working simultaneously with my pen tablet, there is this certain conflict (input SpaceNav vs. input tablet) which causes jerky movements and I can only cope with getting the pen away while moving in space and which I know also from Cinema 4D. But as in Cinema I think this has to do with the certain way MoI is designed. Would be nice to hear, whether you are working on this or not?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3724.2 In reply to 3724.1 
Ohh, it's not only rotating. It's rather navigating if your view is horizontal to the grid/if you are looking at the grid from a side within the 3d-view. Things are going worse the more you get into this view angle.
Cannot really express.
But if you are rotating, panning or zooming with the grid horizontal to view than there is something laming, something like a resistance.

EDITED: 18 Aug 2010 by ANTONIO

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3724.3 In reply to 3724.1 
Hi Anton,

> Hey Micheal, is there any possibility to increase
> the rotation "input" in MoI.

Yes, there are a bunch of options you can use for adjusting the Space Navigator behavior to tune it to what you want.

To get to the options, go the Options dialog, then the View section, and then click the "Rotate/Pan/Zoom" options button here:

Then on the dialog that pops up there are various controls on the right-hand side under the "3Dconnexion options" section. You can put in a scale factor in the Rotation speed item here:

So for example if you want to double the rotation speed put in a value of 2 there.

> Even when working simultaneously with my pen tablet,
> there is this certain conflict (input SpaceNav vs. input tablet)
> which causes jerky movements and I can only cope with
> getting the pen away while moving in space and which I
> know also from Cinema 4D. But as in Cinema I think this
> has to do with the certain way MoI is designed.

No, this is not due to any special design in MoI, it's likely to be some behavior specific to the Space navigator driver. Particularly since you see the same problem in both Cinema4D and MoI as well.

You might try downloading the newest space navigator driver from 3dconnexion's web site (http://www.3dconnexion.com/) and see if that improves the space navigator's behavior for you or not.

> Would be nice to hear, whether you are working on this or not?

No, there is nothing that I am aware of that I can do in MoI that is related to that, MoI just takes the input that the driver sends.

If the driver does not send the data to MoI regularly when some other device is active there isn't really anything that I can do about that.

You might try one of the demo programs that gets installed with the space navigator driver and if you can replicate the same behavior there, then contact 3dconnexion support and ask them about the issue and see if they can come up with an improvement in the driver to solve it.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3724.4 In reply to 3724.2 
Hi Anton,

> Ohh, it's not only rotating. It's rather navigating if your view
> is horizontal to the grid/if you are looking at the grid from a side
> within the 3d-view. Things are going worse the more you get
> into this view angle.

The default rotation mode for MoI is to rotate around the world z axis.

Maybe a different rotation style is what you are looking for - there is an option for changing that under the Rotate/Pan/Zoom options:

Try changing that to Rotate style = Free rotation and see if that behaves more like you want. That causes the rotation to be around your local viewing frame of reference rather than having it oriented around the world z axis.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All