OFF TOPIC: Windows 7 os?
All  1-4  5-9

Previous
Next
Hey Michael, well I had built a new computer back in March, with the idea of eventually installing windows 7 on it.
that being said, the mobo is windows 7 ready. I have not put too much critial stuff on it and have a few windows xp machines that I use primarily for my work stuff, including moi work.
so I think Im just waiting for the world to say that windows 7 is now ready and we can confidently move from windows xp pro....
Im getting the feeling that there still might be issues?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3710.6 In reply to 3710.5 
""""""""""Im getting the feeling that there still might be issues?""""""""""""""

Probably hardware is the point.....If any of your hardware was made before W7 then this would be your weak point. If you buy all stuff that was designed for it, then it should be pretty good. The mem managment is a HUGE reason to get on the new OS.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3710.7 In reply to 3710.5 
Hi Mike,

> Im getting the feeling that there still might be issues?

Possibly, but like Burr mentions it depends on how much older hardware and older software you want to run on it.

Old hardware may not have drivers available and sometimes older software may not like the new security model that prevents programs from just writing data anywhere they want. This can be turned off though, and for difficult cases there is a Windows XP virtual machine mode available on the Win7 Professional and Ultimate versions that could help.

But if you were to run into a problem with not being able to use some particular piece of old hardware or old software, it is likely to be a permanent problem from how the new system works from here on out, not really something that will change. So it's not like waiting for some time for some Windows service pack update would really help these kinds of problems if that's what you were thinking.

But it's pretty unlikely that you would run into these problems unless you need to run some kind of unusual old specialty device with this system.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3710.8 In reply to 3710.7 
>But if you were to run into a problem with not being able to use
>some particular piece of old hardware or old software

I had this problem with a new-ish Canon colour laser printer. For 6 months that was unusable because they didn't have a 64-bit driver for Windows 7. Eventually they did release one, which wins them lots of brownie points from me. Many manufacturers would not have bothered supporting a legacy product like that.

If the manufacturer doesn't release the driver for your peripheral, the hardware is just junk.

Dan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
The question you should ask is do you have anything that's not Vista compatible.

In my opinion, Vista was the Windows ME of the 32/64-bit era - in a word, a HOAKEY OS!

But as mentioned, a lot of device drivers were left behind when Vista was released - it took me a year if not more for me to finally get Vista compatible driver for my Okidata C5200n color laser printer!

If you see that everything you use is compatible with Vista then you should be okay.

Win 7 is actually a lot more compatible with certain software than Vista was and they cleaned up a lot of the flaws and problems Vista had also. (Of course Win7 has its issues too - I find the file search to be at times useless compared to previous versions...)

If you're absolutely strapped on XP then Win7 comes with a built-in "XP Mode" that you can run for programs that really require the Windows XP environment. That hopefully could hold you over until an update is released.

Good luck!

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-4  5-9