Oldie but Newbie

Next
Hey fellow MOIers.

This is my first post here on the forums in quite some time.
I just downloaded the newest upgrade and tried my hand at seeing what this baby can do...or more like, what I can't.
So I took on modeling an iPad for my first go ahead, and I am already having unwanted issues.
The iPad has an unusual backing (thats not uncommon in electronics) that raises some interesting modeling procedure questions.

My first approach towards modeling this was to boolean intersect to profile lofts from the top (not screen=front) and side.
Great success yes.

I then went filleting the corners of the newly created boolean and that is where I ran into some problems (not so much the software, but the general curves used.
You can see that the resulting corners dip below the intended profile.
Not so good.

So using the resulting solid, I went back and recreated new curves (in red) for which I would believe would result in a better piece of geometry.
Now my question is what tool should I be using to create such a thing and do I need more detached/separated curves to produce it?

I attached 2 videos on my procedures and the MOI3D file as well.*
Thanks in advance for your desire to help, maybe one (or more) day I can return the favor to this awesome community.

-how

*PS...I was unable to upload the videos (9MB and 5MB) so hopefully the description above and the attached file can prove enough...if not please reply.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3707.2 In reply to 3707.1 
Hi how, do you possibly have any images of the kind of shape that you're looking for? I guess I could search for iPad images, but if you happen to have a good one that shows this particular back panel detail that you are focused on that could be helpful to see.

It looks like right now you're basically getting the intersection of 2 extruded pieces - that may not be what you want to do since that will leave a kind of sharp edged crease where the 2 straight shapes intersect with one another.

You may want to do something like a sweep or a surface of revolution to make the back panel which can then be a more rounded surface rather than one with sharp creases in it.

Check out some of these previous posts for some ideas:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1002.2
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3137.1

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3612.5

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi
Here blueprint for iPad (and other): http://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/cases.html
where you can use curves...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3707.4 In reply to 3707.1 
Hi how,

I had a go at the ipad a little while back, not to do the whole model but to see what technique I would use with MoI for the back, I got the engineering drawing from exactly where ycarry mentions from apple as a PDF and imported it into MoI (with Michaels help because....).

If you open the attachment it's self explanatory, you'll see that for symmetrical parts I work on one half or in this case one quadrant, when done and satisfied just use mirror to complete the rest of the model.

Hope this helps, any questions feel free.

Cheers
~Danny~
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3707.5 In reply to 3707.4