Grid Snap Fail (Offset Tool)
All  1  2-4

Previous
Next
3690.2 In reply to 3690.1 
Hi NightCabbage, that's a bug, I should be able to fix it in v3.

The reason it happens is that when you do an offset, the point that you pick is not really targeted specifically at the viewport's grid, instead it is targeted at a generic plane that the curve is on, with something like the centroid point of the curve as the plane's origin.

That's so that you can do an offset on any planar curve even if it does not happen to be lined up with the viewport's grid. For example offset will work on a planar curve at some arbitrary angle like this:

But if the curve's plane is parallel to the view's plane I could set the plane origin to be lined up with the view's grid origin so that grid snap would work as you were expecting.

For now there are a couple of different workarounds you can use - you can place a point object in at the spot you want to offset to and then snap to that, or you can use the distance mode of offset instead, for example if you type in 1 when you are in Offset it will switch to distance mode and the offset will be constrained to be 1 unit in distance and then you just pick which side you want it to go on.

Thanks for reporting the bug,

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Michael :)

Yea I've been using the Distance method - takes a bit more time in most occasions, but gets the job done.

I was thinking about what you said...

2 possible methods for it to work...

a) grid snap - where it snaps to the grid of the current viewport

b) unit snap - where it snaps in 1 unit increments, on the plane in which the tool is working (1 unit = 1 grid unit, but the rotation and viewport grid doesn't matter here)

P.S. am having fun designing some space craft for an upcoming game - will post some WIPs when I get them ready :D
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3690.4 In reply to 3690.3 
Hi NightCabbage,

> b) unit snap - where it snaps in 1 unit increments, on
> the plane in which the tool is working (1 unit = 1 grid
> unit, but the rotation and viewport grid doesn't matter
> here)

Yeah, case b is actually what is happening currently, it's what causes the problem.

The problem is that the "snap origin" (the central point that defines what the increments radiate out from) is the centroid of that curve which gives that snap grid a different alignment than the grid that you see in the viewport.

In v3 I should be able to fix this so that in the case where the curve's plane is parallel to the view's grid, that the view's grid origin will be taken as the snap origin instead.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-4