More filleting problems
All  1-9  10-13

Previous
Next
3686.10 In reply to 3686.9 
Hi Michael,
Hahaha. Actually i did get rid of the older 7000 and replaced it with a 2400 hd. Since your last post, I revisited the file. I mispoke.

The only time the fillet doesnt work at that value is picking only a single edge here:

It just sits there. I think I was going around looking for a problem edge and just jumped straight to the scale post I made.

Indeed it fillets at .01 from the original file with a normal selection.

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3686.11 In reply to 3686.10 
Hi Burr, yeah actually believe it or not filleting just 1 edge like that where it has sharp corners is a lot more difficult than the whole boundary.

It's because the fillet itself won't naturally connect to other fillet pieces, it will want to open up a kind of hole in the model sort of like this:

A couple of different things get difficult there - the fillet does not all by itself cut the top piece, so some additional connections need to be traced on the top to cut the top surface, and then the "side wall" piece has to try to be extended to fill in the gap that is opened up after that.

It's a pretty different kind of scenario than when everything is being filleted - when everything is filleted the fillets and corners all by themselves define a complete trimming boundary.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3686.12 In reply to 3686.11 
I had seen that if I selected the "Straight corners" option, then it actually would produce that "Fillet-but-leave-the-original-surface-alone" result, which would allow me to do the lower level surface work if I really needed just that edge filleted... :o
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3686.13 In reply to 3686.1 
Thanks to Michael, Danny and BurrMan for their help with which I was able to resolve the issues. I have realised that some edges just can't be filleted but I managed to get a useful result nonetheless. Cheers, Dan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-9  10-13