t-tools?

Next
I haven't been on this forum for some weeks ... came across this news item in my inbox ...
they call it t-tools :) is this something you could implement into moi?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3672.2 In reply to 3672.1 
Hi s7r83dg3, are you talking about the T-tools library from T-splines?
(http://www.tsplines.com/products/t-tools-libraries.html)

> is this something you could implement into moi?

Yes, it's possible but it would take quite a lot of work to make MoI into a sub-d modeler, the sub-d toolset involves things like pulling points and edges of a poly mesh around which is a much different toolset than what MoI currently is focused on.

It's a lot more work than just using some library, it would involve dozens of new commands, a lot of new UI and workflow which requires a lot of design time, etc...

I'm definitely interested to look into it at some point in the future but the quantity of work involved makes it difficult to know exactly when it could happen.

Right now T-splines is available as a Rhino plugin, so if you want to use T-splines right now you could get Rhino + T-splines plugin which you can use along side of MoI.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3672.3 In reply to 3672.2 
oh, ok. I was not aware this library is targeted at sub-d modeling systems.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3672.4 In reply to 3672.3 
Hi s7r83dg3, well that library is kind of like a bridge making it possible to use sub-d workflows and techniques but have the output be NURBS surfaces instead of only polygons.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
This is all cool stuff and I'd like to have a go at subd modeling at some stage but I believe the focus should be developing the existing MoI toolset further and get it to a more mature stage before all these other goodies are added, I would rather see surface to surface continuity added to Network, Sweep and Loft, and we all know about the fillet library. oh! and maybe a dash of deforming tools :)
Just some of my thoughts on these advanced tools that keep on popping up lately, I think you are going the right direction Michael, keep up the good work.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3672.6 In reply to 3672.5 
Hi Danny, yeah I've got quite a lot of more "regular NURBS" work lined up already that I do want to get to first before attempting to do any kind of really different workflow like sub-d tools would require.

Doing a kind of hybrid NURBS/sub-d enabled app is a cool idea for the future at some point though, and having a few different libraries available in that area to choose from will certainly help when the time for that does come.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All