Rebuild and Reconstruct Curves

Next
Hi All;

There is another script called " reconstruct curve". what is the difference between this one and the Rebuild command?

Thanks

Sharif
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3661.2 In reply to 3661.1 
The reconstructcurve is the original, and is a bit different. The rebuild command has 2 options. to use "refit" with a tolerance value, or the number of points method. Also with the ability to say "Keep corner points".

The original one only does "number of points" method with no corner point adherence. I think it's still good to have though because the number of points methods differ between the 2. I think the newer one actually uses the "control points" of the original curve and the old one does some other method. (I dont rememeber the thread that actually describes the true difference). But the result IS slightly different. Maybe Michael can remind me of what that difference was....:o
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3661.3 In reply to 3661.2 
Hi Sharif, yeah basically that ReconstructCurve plug-in was made before the built-in Rebuild command was available. For the most part you would normally now want to use Rebuild.

@Burr, yeah the main difference is the newer built-in "Rebuild" has that tolerance-based mode where you can specify a distance and the new curve is refined to be within that distance of the original one.

The # of points method of the new one is pretty much the same as the original one (except for the new keep corners option), it just uses a slightly different interpolation method called "uniform knot spacing".

Also though ReconstructCurve does have an option to rebuild the curve making a polyline through the sampled points rather than a smooth curve, that could be useful for special circumstances.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3661.4 In reply to 3661.3 
Thanks both for clarification!
  Reply Reply More Options