Top 5 Features list for V3 !
 1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-120  …  441-442

Previous
Next
Hi,

Very nice thing to appear, 2D functions for drawing creation.

João
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2 things I would like (not easy)

1) Variable radius fillet
2) Surface continuity matching e.g. for Network patch, sweep, loft.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Variable radius fillet has been on my list for a long time...
Deformation tools would be a welcome addition as well

EDITED: 18 Dec 2010 by SCHBEURD

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Can a new user place a request for a V3 change? Hope so.

I am big on desktop customization and having two 24" monitors I would find that the ability to show all the tabs on the command palette opened at the same time to be very sweet (or as toolbars that can be docked or undocked).

Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi,

I would love to see a simple renderer attached to MoI as well - having to deal with all the complexity (and flexibility) of large packages like Modo or C4D is not always necessary.

I would suggest looking into adding a simple exporter to Luxrender scene format; it's plain text and fairly uncomplicated. I would even say that writing UI for it would be harder than the export itself. :-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.66 In reply to 3628.64 
Hi Don,

> Can a new user place a request for a V3 change? Hope so.

Yes, certainly!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.67 In reply to 3628.56 
Hi Michael;

How about rotate option so each element in array can be rotated similar to the Scale Array script.

Thanks

Sharif
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.68 In reply to 3628.67 
Hi Sharif - don't forget that this thread is about your top 5 requests for v3.

Is that rotate array element the #1 request that you'd like to see as a new feature in v3?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.69 In reply to 3628.68 
Hi Michael;

Here is my top 5 wishes for V3 in order of importance:

1. Object Grouping
2. Array group that can be edited later
3. Surface Paneling
4. Be able to Rotate and scale array elements as part of command (no script)
5. Improve scene Browser ( I have some ideas, see attached file )

Thanks

Sharif
Image Attachments:
Size: 88.5 KB, Downloaded: 154 times, Dimensions: 702x1227px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Must I point out 5 ?
Michael I got one only one big one
I want t splines for Moi.... ! Yes and its Christmas today so here you go.
Why is that only an option for Rhino users...... ?
I got so many shapes that I´d like to build like subdivision surfaces and join and boolean like nurbs.
that would also avoid many peoples problems with complex shapes and networking.......
plus if we had more ways to make smooth class a objects like car surfaces.... but that a part of
my t spline wish.......
Merry Christmas !
Peter
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.71 In reply to 3628.70 
Hi Peter, well T-splines is a plug-in written by a 3rd party that adds stuff to Rhino.

Plug-ins are built to a specific system - they use various services from the host application and are tightly connected with how the host mechanism is set up (like it's UI, how commands work, etc...) so anyway that's why you can't run t-splines directly on MoI.

It's kind of like how you can't take a water pump out of one car and just stick it in any other car - the connections and how a part like that fits into place are not identical between every kind of car.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.72 In reply to 3628.71 
Yes but it was Christmas Michael and with Moi3d growing bigger and bigger I thought it would
be a good idea for the T splines people to do something in the direction of Moi3d......
I am running Tsplines for Rhino at the moment (trials)and it imports pretty well into Moi 3d.
Its sort of the question what I miss most in Moi and thats the organic parts thing other then that Moi is pretty
complete already(well there is always room for things to add but...)
Peter
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
- Improvement in groups and parents
- Dimensioning, text and line weight control (so I could use MoI as a drafting tool as well as a
modeling tool) this is very important to me
- texture support /uvmaping/ :)
- export to dxf or other 2d format
- ability to use tablet pen as drafting tool. it would be nice if i could draw over views just to be able
to fast spin new ideas, now i use snipping tool in win7 and ps :) /i use this techique to put dimen. on my drawings :)

****H.N.Y.****
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
-dimensioning tools (fractional or decimal)
-2D export to DXF/DWG (native)
-the ability to output the split view as a dimensioned drawing in all windows

Please don't bloat Moi!

Thanks,

Chris
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
If there are significant changes in future versions then maybe have several default menu/toolbar configurations.

Like the interface that opens when you first install and use MoI. That could be the 'default' or novice user tool set.

As you add more features or tools that do more advanced things you could add toggles in the options menus like:

Options ---> User Interface---> Default / Novice
---> Mechanical Design (more for solids & booleans)
---> Freeform Design (more geared around surfaces)
---> Assembly Tool set (snap tool set for putting multiple imported models together)
---> Drawing in a Flat World (2D only sketch tools for those that need to just brain storm and layout sketches)
---> I am Zeus (all tool bars on plus the ability for the user to cast lightning bolts)
---> Create Custom Layout

Obviously the layout could be changed on the fly such as after laying out a bunch of sketches in 'Drawing in a Flat World' mode you then know where u need to go so you enable one of the design menu options and then rotate sketches, extruding, sweeping, etc.

Currently the power of MoI is very high with a very simple and clean interface, little glitz (that sell the product but make user interaction too confusing). The simplicity of the interface cannot be lost or it will evolve into every other design tool (too complex). Right now MoI makes me feel like I am sitting down with a box of crayons. To the lay person the crayons with make a few simple pretty pictures, but the artist can make a master piece with the exact same box of crayons. Other CAD & modeling packages are dropping you in the middle of an Art Supply Store and telling you to just get what you need and yet you have never done any art in your life.

Coming from Solid Works from 1998 to 2008 I watched it evolve and get more and more complex to try to fill the needs of all the people. What truly occurs from what I see people do with 3D cad (and yes you can do sexy organic shapes) is that 95% of the people use 10% of the tools, yet the software creators put the other 90% of the tools in your face to satisfy 5% of the users. Even then most of the 90% tool set is sales/glitz garbage. Any SolidWorks users remember when the 'photorealistic' realtime rendering option first appeared, called photo real? Sales tool, very little use in designing other than to slow things down. Basic lighting and zebra stripes told you what your model was doing.

However, more tools are ok to add if the current easy to learn and use out of the box interface is maintained. It would be a shame to lose potential users that got a trial version and saw there was too much going on.

My soap box - keep it simple (unlike this message). Any new features and tools, have them be turned on via options.

mshideler
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.76 In reply to 3628.75 
Hi mshideler, don't worry - keeping MoI's UI simple and clean is a big priority.

The UI is actually designed to be expandable already - in the future there will probably be a bunch of new toolbar sections on the right-hand side pane like "Dimension", "Render", "Analyze" , etc... but this should not add a whole lot of stuff right in your face since they will start out collapsed initially, so they'll just be some initially inactive tabs that look like this:

This kind of natural future expansion was one of the big priorities for the initial UI design, it's one reason why it took me quite a long time to do the design as well.

But despite that kind of expandability I still try very hard to incorporate more functions within the existing UI when possible, like making existing commands more powerful and stuff like that.

- Michael

EDITED: 31 Dec 2010 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.77 In reply to 3628.76 
you are the man, M. Gibson.

ciao!

mshideler
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.78 In reply to 3628.76 
michael

i am very curious about this "render" new toolbar option. what does that mean?
is that perhaps some plug in rendering like sketchup has Podium for instance. i use that a lot
and i think it would be beneficial enormously for simple "white" models........i use that a lot.
if i may suggest that would be one on my wishlist. somebody also suggested more export import options
(without knowing how the program works inside and weather that is easy to make)...i guess architect like me would like
more flexibility in that respect......anyway.....i am in for v3 no matter what it brings.

regards
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.79 In reply to 3628.78 
Hi mario,

> i am very curious about this "render" new toolbar
> option. what does that mean?

There is no render toolbar option yet - that was just an example describing how new functions will be added to the UI in the future.

At some point in the future I do expect to have some simple built in rendering in MoI but I'm not sure exactly when that will happen, the focus is generally more on modeling tools first before that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.80 In reply to 3628.79 
I agree with you Michael that moi should be focused mainly in modeling. It would be good, anyway if will be possible for someone to develop some sort of exporter, in order to better interface with the rendering software. Something similar to the exporter for Octane (a sort of Moi2Octane...).
I attach two screenshots from the max version, obviously some part is not applicable (animation, ...)but something else can.
I know that we can do the same via OBJ exporter, but it's better in this way. One problem here is that usually this rendering application need an already UVMapped geometry.

Regards
Luca

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-120  121-140  …  441-442