dxf import
All  1  2-6

Previous
Next
3602.2 In reply to 3602.1 
Hi fraser, probably your best bet is to use Rhino to open the DXF and then save to 3DM.

Try the evaluation version of Rhino here:
http://www.rhino3d.com/download.htm

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3602.3 In reply to 3602.2 
As Rhino refuses to automagically import the multiple line segments as single contiguous curves, I'm wondering if my DXF files are corrupt? If I need to join them manually, can I do it efficiently in your vastly superior interface? f
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3602.4 In reply to 3602.3 
Hi fraser, it sound likely that the DXF file just contains individual line objects rather than connected polyline entities.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the DXF file is "corrupt" exactly, just that the data in it does not happen to be structured in the way that you want.

> If I need to join them manually, can I do it efficiently
> in your vastly superior interface?

It depends on how everything is set up - if you have outlines that are made up of individual line segments without the larger outlines touching or overlapping with each other then you can just select everything and use the Join command in MoI to join the lines into curves.

But if you have a whole bunch of lines where lines from multiple different outlines are sharing endpoints with one another, then the joiner is not going to be able to sort those out and could accidentally join pieces together that you don't want. In that case you will have to carefully select just the parts for one outline at a time and use Join.

If you'd like you can post the DXF here or e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com if you'd like to keep it private, so I could take a look at it and maybe give you some better advice.

But if you have a big sea of lines that do not have a clear separation between different chunks of them, that is something that will likely need some manual selecting and joining work.

Also, what is the reason that you want to join them into single curves, what do you plan to do with them after that?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3602.5 In reply to 3602.4 
Man, this sounds like my bad old days of using Autocad (civil engineering/land surveying)... plines thousands of feet long with 1 foot segments that are all goofed up. yuck. A sincere GOOD LUCK to you.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hello,

Able to post the file?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options