Need advice joining complex surface
 1-14  15-34  35-41

Previous
Next
3593.35 In reply to 3593.34 
Hi Michael,
Thank you very much. I guess I didnt look at it very closely, I thought I looked for that kind of stuff. But then again, 0.0000007 is very small and perhaps I didnt look close enough!!! LOL

Not to drag this out, but just a finish up for me... It appeared this iges file came from NX also, and I was wondering about this poor geometry creation. It appears to be a simple hole punched with a fillet on the edge. Could this type of issue be getting created by the filleter mechanism? I mean, when I punch simple holes like this in a revolve with MoI and fillet the edges, When the fillet succeeds, I get good surface quality. I realize that if I create a poor curve to punch my hole, this would create this kind of issue....But if I create a simple circle, it would surely be avoided!!! Could it be a loose tolerance setting in NX that would allow it to create these anomolies by just "slapping things together"?

I know there are many variables, and you are not a mind/model reader...Just looking for a "best guess" situation or more brain picking on your judgement of what has happened here....Perhaps these are just bugs in NX5 as that is old now compared to 7.5.

Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3593.36 In reply to 3593.35 
Hi Burr, well it's hard to say what's created that.

Maybe it's even something that the IGES importer itself is inserting in there because it thinks that there is too large of a gap in there, I'm going to see if that is a possibility.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3593.37 In reply to 3593.22 
Hi Anis,
Well I got to look at the model and received the same results as everybody else. One thing that the higher end packages do, with these repair wizards is list all the faults and present them to you to fix. With the package I used it would present about 50 areas that need to be addressed. Perhaps a day of working the model over by someone experienced.

Anyway, thanks for letting me look.

EDITED: 26 Aug 2011 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3593.38 In reply to 3593.28 
Is this for rendering purposes?

No, I want to create core & cavity.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3593.39 In reply to 3593.35 
Hi Burr, so actually that particular line is being created by the IGES import code.

The reason why though is that the file is marked as being built to a tolerance of 3e-7 (0.0000003) and the IGES reader seems to take it at its word and considers gaps much larger than that to be large enough sized things to be filled in, while in actuality the data in there is nowhere close to that accurate, more like 1e-3 between endpoints and stuff like that.

This tolerance value is at the start of the file here:

If you edit that to say something like 3.037E-003 instead, then at least some of those micro lines will be avoided from being created, but there still seems to be a few other ones in there apart from that.

I'll have to send this over to the HarmonyWare guy and ask him if its a good idea to actually trust that tolerance value in the header since it is completely off in this case.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3593.40 In reply to 3593.37 
Hi Burr...

Thanks for looking at the model to examine.....
So the conclusion is I need to repair some bad area manually or request to our client STEP format.
Also looks like no software that can import the IGES file smooth and solid.

Thanks for everybody that help me to solve this case...

Regards,

Anis
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3593.41 In reply to 3593.40 
""""""""So the conclusion is I need to repair some bad area manually or request to our client STEP format.""""""""""

Yes and all the other "Solids formats like SAT. I would also think that with this info, there may be some functions in NX to "Prepare to export" like some kind of analisys and repair on the "Native geometry" BEFORE the export.

Some of the things Michael is describing here are "functions of import" and just how the process works with the data and parameters presented.

If all you have is this file, it will need to be worked. Actually, the program I used has "2 different methods of importing of iges and produced 2 different results. Possibly the STEP or SAT imports may handle things better. Michael even just discussed manually changing the tolerance value in the iges file to get a different result that may produce a model that is easier to repair on import.....

The other thing is you mention you want to do Core and Cavity. I'm no expert on this, but it would seem to me you want to do parting lines anyway...So halving the model into 2 seperate surfaces may make for a better resulting import or easier to fix whats left????

Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-14  15-34  35-41