Sweep Problem
All  1-8  9-14

Previous
Next
3564.9 In reply to 3564.5 
Hi armin, also probably a better way to get rid of those little lumps is to use the Rebuild command on your joined rail curve.

To do that, select it, then type Tab, then "Rebuild", then push Enter.

I did that in the attached model.

That helps to smooth out the small tangent deviations between the different segments in your original.

I used a tolerance of 0.001 units for the rebuild in this case.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3564.10 In reply to 3564.9 
Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. The script for the snaps that works for me. And I will try to build
the surfaces in smaller segments, makes sense. I'm just not used into building my objects from
nurbs surfaces, so it's a little bit relearning.

I played a little bit more with that file and I've noticed the snaps are really my problem - attached
is a screen shot and the 3dm file. I get a lot of those not really connected points. You don't really
see it until you zoom in very, very close. The spot on the screen shot is marked with a red circle
on the model. And I have those spots all over the place. The distance is very small and I guess in
most cases it doesn't matter. You don't really notice it until you zoom in that close, which in most
cases I don't do. I assume the best way avoiding those "gaps" is probably making heavy use of
turning certain snaps on or off?
Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 9.3 KB, Downloaded: 0 times, Dimensions: 509x454px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3564.11 In reply to 3564.10 
Hi armin,

> I assume the best way avoiding those "gaps" is
> probably making heavy use of turning certain
> snaps on or off?

You don't necessarily have to turn them off, although you can if you want.

The main way is to just pay attention to what the little tags on the snapped point say, it will actually have the text saying "End" in that little tag if that point is on an end snap, like this:

If you get a snap that does not have "End" listed in it, like if it only says "Perp" or something like that, then that's a sign that you are not quite at the right spot.

It can also help a lot if you zoom in a little bit when you want to snap on to a particular thing, try to get in the habit of using the mouse scroll wheel more often to make the local area that you are trying to target larger on the screen rather than staying far away when there are several things in the same area.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3564.12 In reply to 3564.10 
Hi armin,

> And I will try to build
> the surfaces in smaller segments, makes sense.

I'll also be looking into some more tune ups for 1-rail sweep in v3, it would probably help if sweep automatically did a rebuild of the rail.

That does happen for 2-rail sweep but not 1-rail sweep currently.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3564.13 In reply to 3564.12 
Hi Michael,

Man you're fast with your answers, one of those days you gonna get a speeding ticket :).
That's not a complaint, don't get me wrong.

Yeah, I saw those little snapping hints, sometimes I just have too much geometry concentrated
at one spot, and than you move your mouse pointer around and don't find the right one, or you
(in this case I mean myself) think you got the right one, but you don't. But I guess if I'm more
careful from the beginning, I shouldn't run into those situations.

Thanks again

-Armin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3564.14 In reply to 3564.13 
Hi Armin,

> sometimes I just have too much geometry
> concentrated at one spot

That's when you've got to zoom in so that all that geometry is on a larger area of the screen rather than all condensed together.

You want to make it almost a reflex to zoom in and then back out or sometimes hit the Reset button to go all the way out to frame the whole object again.'

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-8  9-14