trouble filleting
All  1-3  4-7

Previous
Next
3556.4 In reply to 3556.3 
You could try the constant distance option it is cleaner in this case. In the attached picture you can see where there is an edge where the continuity breaks. The fillet runs on another larger fillet. The larger fillet should be G2 continuous then the smaller one on top will not have the break.

Regards

Jamie

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3556.5 In reply to 3556.1 
Hi barney, I've been looking at your problem here, and it appears to be some kind of bug in the fillet surface generation, something like the fillet cross-sections are rotating or wobbling somehow making for a badly shaped fillet.

I rely on the Solids++ geometry library that I license to calculate these fillets for me, so it tends to be a difficult area for me to fix myself, it probably will need to be sent to the authors of the geometry library for them to examine.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3556.6 In reply to 3556.3 
Hi barney, so scaling up like Jamie was talking about before does seem to improve the shape a lot in the area that you had highlighted in your screenshot.

Here's what the original looks like in that area when filleted with radius = 0.08:

Here's what that same area looks like when the model is scaled up by a factor of ten and done with a radius = 0.8 :

Still a hint of a problem on the bottom part, but a lot better.

But it definitely looks to me like a fillet surface generation problem in the geometry library, I don't see anything that you have done bad here.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3556.7 In reply to 3556.6 
thank you for your advice michael and jamie

now i'm going to crack on and try and make something interesting in moi I can share :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-3  4-7