Previous
Next
3532.4 In reply to 3532.3 
Hi rodney,

> I was going to suggest in the wishlist WIKI that it would
> be super cool to have falloff influences like Modo uses to make
> changes to a surface, i.e. scale that only influences the bottom
> of an object and gradually falls off towards the top (using
> various falloff curves). But I guess this isn't possible?

Well, it is theoretically possible... But it involves a lot more complex stuff than how it works with polygons.

With polygons, you can deform all the "control points" of the mesh the faces stay connected together.

But with a NURBS solid where pieces have been booleaned, the underlying surface's control points are not necessarily aligned with the trim edges, it's more like the edges live on the surface but they only mark different areas of the surface as being active or inactive (inactive areas are holes), the edges don't actually define the shape of the surface, the surface shape completely comes from the "underlying surface" only.

It is possible to do some deformation with NURBS solids by a more complex mechanism though where surfaces are kind of resampled and reconstructed to have a bunch of control points added to them in the areas where you want them to deform, but that method kind of works better for more of "whole object" deformations like bending the whole object at once and not so much for doing sculpting-like tweaks.

If you want behavior more like you are sculpting points, it's really better to work in a polygon modeler for that kind of thing, they are much more set up with that kind of a workflow.

Most of the time in a NURBS modeler you'll be doing things that I'd describe more like "drawing curves and constructing" rather than "sculpting".

When your object is well defined by a set of 2D profile curves (a lot of mechanical type shapes fit into this category), then that's when the NURBS modeling approach works really well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I was remembering an image of a vintage looking microphone someone modeled in MOI and thinking it would be a lot easier to build the wire mesh windscreen on the mic if you could build it flat first and then deform the whole assembly of parts into a cylindrical form. some parts like this would be easier to break down into simple building blocks in a linear fashion and then modify later into a curved form. This might end up opening a whole world of possibilities with what people attempt to model in MOI as well. Just dreaming, and thanks for the education on Nurbs.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3532.6 In reply to 3532.5 
Hi rodney, yes I do want to work on making some deformation and bending type tools in MoI in the future. I think there is a good chance for this to happen in MoI v3.

For the time being if you want to do that kind of a thing you can make it happen by using Rhino in combination with MoI.

Copy/Paste your objects into Rhino, use the bending/warping tools (which were new for Rhino version 4.0) to alter the straight stuff into bent stuff, then Copy/Paste back into MoI.

In fact, if I remember right that microphone screen that you are referring to was actually made in this exact way by transfer to Rhino and back again.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-3  4-6