Problem with installing MoI

Next
Michael,
I'm attempting to install MoI on my shop computer, but I get an error message in each of the four quadrants. It says, among other things, "Unable to create Direct3D9 device. Possibly an unsopported older video card or hardware acceleration is disabled." Hardware acceleration is not disabled. It is an ATI Radeon card. I don't know the model number. Can you give me any help?
Mark
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3507.2 In reply to 3507.1 
Hi Mark, is your shop computer running Windows XP ?

In Windows, try going to the Start menu and pick the "Run" item from there.

Then in that dialog box type in dxdiag.exe as the name of the program to run and click the OK button.

That will run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool which you can use to get some more information on your video card and do some tests.

The tool will display a dialog box with several tabs on it - go to the "Display" tab and first of all under there in the Device section will be listed the specific kind of video card you have under the first Name: entry. Please reply back here what that says, that will verify that you do actually have an ATI card installed there and what the specific model of the card is.

Also there is a "Test Direct3D" button further down in the middle of that dialog, try pushing that to run some basic 3D tests. If those tests fail then there is some fundamental configuration problem with the computer.

Once you know what video card is actually installed on the machine it would probably be a good idea to go to the ATI web site and download the latest video drivers and install them, that may solve the problem.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3507.3 In reply to 3507.2 
Michael,
Thanks. Its taken me a while to get the testing done, but I found out what kind of card I've got. I was then able to download the correct drivers for it, and everything seems to be running correctly now. I've been able to install the correct drivers for it, and MoI now seems to work correctly.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3507.4 In reply to 3507.3 
That's great Mark, I'm glad it is up and running on that machine now.

Possibly before that machine may have had only some kind of "generic VGA" drivers installed on it, which did not know how to access the 3D functions of your particular card which the proper drivers are able to do.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All