2D Drawing Program Text Explanation

Next
after re-reading the thread about 3d text I realized that I probably confused some people with my talk of 2d programs. Or at least came off looking as if I completely missed the boat. PP got what I was trying to say because he has used the programs before, but it was probably confusing for anyone else that doesn't know those programs so I thought I'd explain. I just constructed an animated gif using nothing but xara xtreme pro. It's a really cheesy spinning text animation. I could have spun it or moved it in any direction frame by frame and exported as swf as well as gif. I just decided not to post it without a request as it has the potential to bother people. I've always been bothered by spinning images on websites. Anyway, even though the xara program is 2d the extrusion and rotation is really 3d. So if PP's intention had been to just model 3d text and animate it in 3d rotation or maybe composite it somewhere else then xara would have filled the need and even allowed photoshop plugins to spice it up however he might have wanted. That is what I meant by 2d programs sometimes filling the need for 3d text. The other programs I mentioned have pretty much the same features but the last two- Cool 3D and Impactplus can export to 3ds or x format. I offered these only as an example for text. They are definitely not modelers, even though I have seen people do some pretty advanced 3d models in cool 3d, it wasn't designed for that. Thanks for listening. I just wanted to explain and maybe not look so nuts. :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
3491.2 In reply to 3491.1 
Hi omac, you've got it very well explained now! :)

Text is a good fit for a "wizard" type tool, meaning something that highly guides the model that is being built.

Wizard tools make it really convenient to make the particular kind of model that they are oriented towards, but at the same time tend to place a lot of limits on what you can make as well...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All