Long names

Next
Hi Michael,

When importing an assembly via *.step I get this format as the object name in MoI; "Assembly name":"Part name" this is all good, the problem is in my case our assemblies and parts are named with a 20 character alphanumerical code so when it comes into MoI the object name is 41 characters long, at best I can only see the assembly name and all parts have the same assembly name at the beginning and I can't see the part name after that in the browser so I have to click on each part until I find the right one.

Any other options that I'm missing to rectify this?

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3490.2 In reply to 3490.1 
Hi Danny, I'm not really sure what I could do about that - would you expect the browser item to word wrap, or the entire browser panel to widen up dynamically if you have a long name? There are probably going to be difficulties with attempting either of those though.

You can edit the browser (when in it's separate panel mode) to make its regular width to be larger though, if that would help.

To do that open up the file BrowserPane.htm which is in the \ui subfolder under MoI's main installation folder.

Inside that file you will see that the first child of the <body> tag is a <div> that has a bunch of A characters in it, like: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

That's currently what actually defines the width of the pane, add in like 10 more A characters to that and it will make the browser pane wider.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3490.3 In reply to 3490.1 
Maybe in the future the way that issue can be solved would be to take names like "Assembly : Item" and build groups out of them instead of having that as the object name.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3490.4 In reply to 3490.3 
Hi Michael,

Couldn't we have a tooltip type thing when you mouse over the name for a few milliseconds ?

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3490.5 In reply to 3490.4 
Hi Danny, yeah a tooltip type thing is probably feasible to add in v3.

In some ways I try to avoid tooltips because they kind of force you to browse things one at a time, but in this case it is probably the easiest way to add extended information.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All