MoI 3D PDF
All  1-2  3-11

Previous
Next
3482.3 In reply to 3482.2 
Hi Grendel,
Not comprehensive at all. Just mesh and export the 3d viewport. I havnt done enough investigation yet to see if the output would maintain the style assignments from moi. I would think this would be at the least necessary.The cost could be kept under 50 dollars if we had 100+ users. That is what I was refering to in the earlier post. I could do it right now, but if only 5 people are interested, i would have to either lose my shorts, or charge the high prices that are seen everywhere else (which would make it a failure). I bought simlab just for the pdf output as all other options are high priced. Even wondering what the simlab cost will be after the killer introductory price ends.

It just seems like such a powerful option, but have been told not many people are interested in it, or it hasnt caught on yet.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3482.4 In reply to 3482.3 
It is a very powerful option but not many people are aware that a pdf can even have that functionality. Adobe has really done a poor job of raising awareness to such an incredible communication tool. I have been pushing to get all of our equipment manuals appended with 3d pdf conversions from the Pro-E files for bills-of-materials that contain assembly sequences and animated exploded views for the service technicians. Even people that are good with CAD prints can miss things because of a view not shown but with a 3d pdf model in their you get any view you want, not what a CAD tech has chosen to show (they usually do not have to work on this equipment in the field).

I used it several times and then convinced my department head that we should by it. After that everything is very clear when a piece of new equipment can be rotated and viewed from all angles in real time by anyone with reader.

MoI, Hypershot and 3d pdf was the enabling tool kit that allowed me to redesign a control pod for a subsea BOP in about three days, output photoreal renders and 3d pdf's for discussions that led to to the decision to scrap the existing electronics and pilot system (pod) and replace it with my design. The capital impact of this was 4 million US for each system and we have ordered two of them.

Anything that can assist in the communication of designs from the designer to the approval audience should always be considered a high priority in my opinion.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3482.5 In reply to 3482.4 
Yeah agreed. Though for me what really slows the use of this type of stuff is the higher end pricing and complexity. FOr sure the things you mention, should just buy Acrobat Pro Extended and have some very powerful tools. To stay inline with MoI, I would think quick moment of inspiration output.

Anyway, we'll see. Thats "1 person" who has the option already, but has responded to the question!!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
For sure if I did not already have it I would pay $50 for such a feature.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3482.7 In reply to 3482.6 
Thats good to know. I am not a heavy programmer, so I couldnt write my own, so I have to look at licensing code for it. Most i look at wanted huge bucks, but I found one that is reasonable. They have 1 stipulation for me, that makes it "riscky" and hence the need to ask if there is a demand. I may try to talk to them a bit more and see if they are willing to eliminate that stipulation!!! This would make it a win for both of us, and whoever wanted the technology with MoI would have it. Dont know if they are willing to go to that step or not though...We'll see.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Burr,
Great idea!

When Adobe introduced 3dpdf I thought it was a brilliant feature for the same reasons Grendel mentions, for conveying designs more clearly in a portable 3d format that almost anyone can open.

I did investigate it further when first introduced, for business purposes you could probably justify the US$700 but for the occasional user it was a big investment just for the 3dpdf stuff.

To have a plugin for MoI at $50 would be very attractive, I would buy it at a drop of a hat but now I have purchased Simlab I don't really need it and it came with the Luxion renderer which sealed the deal for me, but not everyone will have the $149 for Simlab and your right, who knows what they will be charging after the intro price, maybe wait after the promo and see what price Simlab will be, going by their plugin price of $95, your $50 estimate is very competitive.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I was very surprised to discover the 3D functions in adobe reader, (Recent forum link). With hindsight, it seems such a logical development for this universal program.... so why do we have to stumble across it by accident?
I certainly would be interested in the possibility of saving in this format directly from MOI
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3482.10 In reply to 3482.3 
>Even wondering what the simlab cost will be after the killer introductory price ends<

" By end of May 2010, price will become $249 "

http://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-products/simlab-composer-licensing.aspx

Still not bad price!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3482.11 In reply to 3482.10 
>>>>Still not bad price!>>>>

Yes, and with all the features. A few of the MoI users that would have jumped just bought it....

Maybe later.... I would probably have to figure something else out that would justify this....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-11