Straight corner fillets

Next
Hi Michael,

Not sure if this as been asked/discussed before, so sorry if you have already made a reply to this question.

When creating a standard circular rad, then the rad produced is added correctly to the solid, as in this simple example.

When I change this to a straight corner rad, then the rad is not actually produced as part of the solid, just the surface(s), as seen here:-

Is this a problem with the geometry library, or is this something you would need to fix up yourself at some time?

- Steve
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3471.2 In reply to 3471.1 
Hi Steve, thanks for reporting this bug.

That is a problem in the geometry library's fillet mechanism.

If you try that same shape with the "straight corners" option in MoI v1 it just produces nothing - in MoI v2 I've made some changes to try and return partially calculated results if there was an error in some part of fillet processing rather than just completely bailing out. That's why you get that result here with the fillets separate from the main solid. That way you at least get something to work with.

> or is this something you would need to fix up
> yourself at some time?

I'm not really confident about fixing up things way down in the guts of the filleter myself, it's quite complicated. It's probably something to be fixed by the library authors.

It kind of looks like it may be some kind of categorization error.

To finish it off, you can do one fillet with "Straight corners" turned off, which will make the side parts that you need, then you can copy those, and paste those into the one with "Straight corners" enabled, and trim the other parts that the fillets touch.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3471.3 In reply to 3471.2 
Hi Michael,

I thought it would be the geometry library, but was curious.

As to a workaround, that is not a problem, I can simply build a sweep for this type of fillet/chamfer (due to (now in V2) the ability to create the butted/straight corners on a sweep), then union the produced solid.

- Steve
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All