Poly Normals Reversed in SI

Next
Hi Michael,

I'm using MoI on another aviation piece and I noticed that when I export a mesh in .obj or .fbx format to Softimage the polygon normals are reversed. Not always but usually. It would be easier to fix if it was consistent. If there are a lot of pieces this can be time consuming to select and flip them. Not a real major issue but just thought you'd like to know.

I found this in Lightwave a while back as well but haven't tested it recently.

Cheers! - great progress on the beta!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
3467.2 In reply to 3467.1 
Hi Len - when you have an open surface instead of a solid, there isn't any automatic way for MoI to know which side is supposed to be the "outside".

It can depend on a numerous factors such as which direction you decided to draw some of the initial curves in (clockwise or counter-clockwise).

The easiest way to get things consistent is to make things into solids before you export them, that gives MoI a way to automatically determine which direction should go to the outside each time.

Otherwise, if you are dealing with non-solids, you'll probably need to flip some things same as what happens in pretty much any modeling system including polygon modeling.

You can either flip things in your polygon modeler, or there is also a Flip command in MoI that you can set up on a keyboard shortcut which you can then trigger to flip which direction is considered the positive normal on an open surface.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All