Curious results
All  1-6  7-12

Previous
Next
3457.7 In reply to 3457.5 
Hi Michael,

>>I think you may be running into a problem where Network is using a looser tolerance for its internal curve rebuilding, to try and reduce the complexity of the generated surface, but this is leading to sometimes having not quite enough accuracy on the outside edges.<<

Well that explains a number of failures I have seen when attempting solid creation from joining network surfaces.

- Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3457.8 In reply to 3457.6 
One thing I've been kind of torn between for this situation is whether Network should use a tighter accuracy for its outside edge curves, or whether Join should be allowing a looser tolerance.

The problem with increasing the Network accuracy is that it will produce an even denser result surface.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3457.9 In reply to 3457.8 
Hi Michael,

In loosening the tolerance, wouldn't that then force the adjoining surfaces to deform slightly to make up the gap, It's just that there have been some past situations where small features have been turned into deformed surfaces because the sloppy operator had set the tolerance too loose so their gaps would join.

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3457.10 In reply to 3457.9 
Hi Danny, well Join in MoI anyway does not really deform surfaces, it only does stuff to the trimming boundaries, and even then all it does is basically throws out one of the 3D edges and keeps the other one as the one for the joined structure.

But if the Join tolerance is too loose the problem can be that things end up getting glued together that should have stayed as distinct individual edges.

If tolerances are set too loose for calculations that involve fitting or iterative refinment, that's when you can get stuff like a sagging result.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3457.11 In reply to 3457.8 
Hi Michael,

If you decide to add some surface editing/rebuilding tools into V3 beta, then that will probably be the best time to look more at this.

I am not concerned, as I have easily been able to find simple workarounds to the few problems I have had with networks.

- Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3457.12 In reply to 3457.11 
Hi Steve, I do want to work on some surface edit tools in v3.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-6  7-12