Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3455.41 In reply to 3455.19 
Well, after all the discussion I thought I would be crazy not to buy one as well. I tested the trial, and it's fine on this old machine I'm on. I also customized a material to make sure it was easy to do. (it was pretty brainless). I think I might even be motivated again to do some modeling instead of just thinking about it. Does anyone know anything about decals with this program? Can I take a 2d picture and position it on top of an existing texture, or is a decal just a texture?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3455.42 In reply to 3455.38 
Hi Michael,

>>at least using OBJ format should bypass those issues though. That way the tessellation step happens inside of MoI instead.<<

Yes, I do not really have a problem using obj format. I have purchased a license.

- Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
This one is really tempting. Hmm....Hypershot for $149 basically (minus realtime render).

But, I'm not sure what role it could play in my pipeline besides a quick renderer?

I think I'm gonna still holdout for VrayRT (OpenCL).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Here is another test render, this time with a poly model just to see how it handled that. Poly'd the pendant and stones a long time ago.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3455.45 In reply to 3455.44 
Hey Grendel,
Can you share a bit about how you would poly that surface up? not being very proficient in it, the other day I polyed a model (quickly) which gave me some faceting, then I imported the model as a step file with a better surface. Though I know Michaels mesher is superior, I do have to know more about how to get good results with it, so any insight is valuable for me!

Thanks,
Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3455.46 In reply to 3455.45 
Hi Burr, I took what Grendel said to mean that jewelry piece was built in a polygon modeler using subdivision surfaces and was not actually a NURBS model.

For meshing tips to get smoother results out of MoI, first try just moving the slider towards the "More polygons" side to reduce the angle parameter and make more polygons be generated.

If you have areas that are broad in size but have pretty shallow curvature, then the angle parameter alone may not dice that area up enough - for cases like that enter a distance value in the "Divide larger than" option to split up any polygons that are larger than that distance.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Well, there are several ways to do it depending on the tools in your modeler. Off the bat you need to figure out if you're going to use hard or soft modeling. By that I mean if you will use some sort of subdivision smoothing (catmull/clark..doo sabin) to smooth it out for render or if you will model with a much denser mesh but does not require subdivision smoothing. The benefit of the sub-d is that you are dealing with a much lighter cage that can be collapsed later to a dense mesh, if you hard model it you cannot go the other way to a lighter control cage.

This one I used a bezier curve (through points) to get the shape, then offset that and adjusted the bezier control points to give it thick and thin areas from the top view. Then I bridged (lofted) a surface of polygons between them, and then gave that surface thickness (shell). For the settings they are just cylinders with one cap extruded (inset) inward to hold the stone. I then deleted some polygons on the OD of the cylinder and welded the cylinders to the ends of the thickened surface of the pendant.

You could also do the same thing with sweeping a profile along two curve guides just as you do in MOI, really the modeling of something like this which is kind of organic and flowing is pretty much the same between NURBS and Sub-D.

For the stones I did a poly tutorial a long time ago found here: http://forums.polyloop.net/hexagon-tutorials/5118-diamond-tutorial.html that you can look at.

Yeah as Michael said it was a Poly model in Hexagon at the time. I was only trying to show another example of the Composer rendering and not throw poly modeling topics into the forum but since you asked...
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3455.48 In reply to 3455.47 
Thanks Grendel...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
True Diamonds gem tutorial !
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi All,

Maybe late to the party, but had some time to play with Simlab and I have to say it's not bad, not bad at all.
It's the next level for presentations, renderings and 3d PDF at this price I think is a bargain.
The quick render of Robby the robot head are straight off the bat default settings, I just bumped up the Ray Bounces a bit for the transparent stuff, took about 15min.

Made a corny pdf with sound of the model for anyone who's interested, you can download it from the link it's about 13Meg. http://cid-30cffdfa97399495.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Robby.pdf

Cheers
~Danny~
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Really nice render!

Is there a way to bump up the refraction on the glass a bit?

Okay where can us Octane licensees gather for a group cry and hugg?? :-P

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3455.52 In reply to 3455.51 
Is this really comparable? It's still CPU based, isn't it? Besides 3D PDF, which I didn't know existed until now and I still don't understand the reason for its existence - what does it have going for it? My main attraction (I bought a license) to Octane is the rendering speed. Once I get my hands on one of the new Nvidia cards (4xx series), stuff will fly. Physically accurate almost realtime rendering? Hell yeah! (says he, who used to wait overnight to have a cube rendered on his 8MHz Amiga)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Robby.pdf (with the cosmo music) is really excellent!
Can we add lights and animation to Simlab 3Dpdf?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
SimLab works very well.... The ability of the Adobe 3D PDF to cut sections, zoom in, and let the user measure stuff saved my behind this week.
Had a complex item and the phone communications over images I send became rather bizarre. I bought that Composer, send the 3D PDF.
Had not heard from the client for two days and then simply received an approval...
Awesome
Rainer

Here's a sample I made. In any case... the render look deceptively cool. But they are 'simple' image based lit renders.
It's sort of a one trick pony render. No displacement but bump. And so on...
However... big bang for the buck! And -ZERO- setup time. Click -> and nice. Maybe not super... but always nice...
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Rainer,

Please take a look:

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3455.56 In reply to 3455.50 
Hey Danny,
When I rotate Robby on my P4, the glass disappears and the "eye's start blinking" and the "little blue lights" blink also....It would have been hard to plan that any better!!!

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3455.57 In reply to 3455.52 
Hi candide,

> Besides 3D PDF, which I didn't know existed until now
> and I still don't understand the reason for its existence
> - what does it have going for it?

It can be helpful for communication. For example say you're working on a model for a client and you want to show them some intermediate results, and you'd like for them to be able to rotate around and view things from different angles but they do not actually have much direct experience in 3D modeling themselves.

In that kind of situation you can probably send them a 3D PDF file, which they can probably view on their system without needing to go through extra steps to install other software because they have the Acrobat reader installed already.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3455.58 In reply to 3455.55 
I know Ralf. But no Displacement. So, the bump/normal effect is busted when you look at the edges of the geometry.
But again.... that's not what it's made for. it's a quick tool and for that it works great. And 3D PDF has been a
great discovery for me...
R
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3455.59 In reply to 3455.57 
Hi

testing simlab, I like the interface i have hypershot/keyshot and in many ways the interface is better. you loose realtime feedback but gain in being able to move scale parts easily. Also the lights render so its not just lit by HDRI. This you cant do in keyshot. In the pic i have placed a light in each lamp. got to play with the lamps to see if they can produce quality results i just used a really high number and i think that is causing the fireflies. rendered at default settings so some noise.

At the price a bargain renderer with the pdf stuff an added bonus. Render quality is exactly the same as hypershot as far as i can see.

Jamie

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-19  20-39  40-59  60-79  80-99  100-106