Rounds
 1-12  13-26

Previous
Next
3452.13 In reply to 3452.10 
Hi Burr, Punch / ViaCAD uses ACIS.

I'm not really sure if it is possible to have Parasolid in something under $2000.

But I think ACIS could be more feasible.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3452.14 In reply to 3452.13 
Well Michael, after MoI v4 or so, you could take 2 years and write a killer fillet'r, then license it to parasolids as a better one than they have!!!! oooppfffff!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3452.15 In reply to 3452.14 
Hi Burr, well to make a really good filleter involves recognizing and handling a lot of special cases. It's not really something that works with only a single universal code path.

It's probably more like 10 year job to make a very good one.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
In ten years I'm hoping to model in holographic view like Robert Downey Jr. in this clip.

~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3452.17 In reply to 3452.16 
Danny will be creating fillets like Patrick Swezye in "ghost"!!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3452.18 In reply to 3452.16 
Hi Danny,

> In ten years I'm hoping to model in holographic view
> like Robert Downey Jr. in this clip.

Just be careful about getting carpal tunnel syndrome from waving your arms around all day long! :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3452.19 In reply to 3452.18 
quote:
Just be careful about getting carpal tunnel syndrome from waving your arms around all day long! :)

at least I'll have matching pair of aching arms and not just in one ;)

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3452.20 In reply to 3452.13 
Hi Michael....

How about Rhino, can I create the fillet in Rhino ?
What kind of geometry library behind Rhino ?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3452.21 In reply to 3452.20 
Hi Anis,

> How about Rhino, can I create the fillet in Rhino ?
> What kind of geometry library behind Rhino ?

No, you can't really rely on Rhino for that purpose.

Rhino has a custom in-house developed geometry library.

For filleting you'll want to have something that uses the ACIS or Parasolid libraries which are more mature in this area.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3452.22 In reply to 3452.21 
Wow I didn't know a single fonction like a filet could take years of works ...
I'll love to have, one day, my hand on something like solidwork, but I'm not sure I'll like the workflow (my brain only accept simple concept).

THIS ELISTIST PARASOLID STUFF HAS TO BE AVAILABLE FOR THE MASSES, especially for this poor artists that ruin their health with stupid polygons :'(

Life is not fair :P

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3452.23 In reply to 3452.22 
Hi PaQ, well one thing that makes Fillet difficult is that it uses quite a few difficult calculations inside of it, such as creating surface offsets, and doing multiple kinds of surface/surface intersections.

Then the part that gets really difficult on top of that is figuring out how to make the corner pieces where different fillets are running into one another. That is especially one of the areas that tends to be handled by lots of special case code.

> I'll love to have, one day, my hand on something like
> solidwork, but I'm not sure I'll like the workflow (my
> brain only accept simple concept).

You would probably not find it difficult to pick up now that you are familiar with how NURBS modeling works. But the workflow in those programs can tend to be sort of more regimented or formalized.

They've become somewhat less restrictive over time, but for example those kinds of "parametric solid modeling" programs used to be organized so you built just one solid at a time in a "part modeling module", and then used a separate assembly module to gather things together, instead of just creating whatever you wanted on the fly in the same environment.

They often times would not allow creating curves that looped around in 3D all over the place, instead before you draw you would go through a kind of setup stage for defining a sketch plane... Stuff like that.

But of course all that was not necessarily arbitrary stuff, it fit well with many kinds of engineering workflows.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3452.24 In reply to 3452.22 
something to keep in mind too is that SW does not do all things well. there were many a time that i had to delete faces and use surface lofts/sweeps, etc to hand what looked like simple fillets.

I can, however, understand the frustration at the "...PARASOLID..." elites and I had to swear many a time at them.

Side note - in the past I also had to use a local Rhino guy to add fillets for me on models in which history was not important (SW being a history/feature based model for those that do not know this already).

I have wondered how simple the concepts are on fillets when looking at them from the mathematical perspective.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3452.25 In reply to 3452.24 
Hi mshideler,

> I have wondered how simple the concepts are on
> fillets when looking at them from the mathematical
> perspective.

Well, there are several steps involved, like creating offset surfaces, intersecting those offset surfaces to get sort of guide rails for the fillets, then building fillet surfaces, and extending and intersecting those fillet surfaces.

There are potentially tricky parts to each of those stages.

But the really tricky part is constructing corner junctures where many fillets are trying to meet up (like where you have several edges coming together into a shared common point). There isn't really a single mathematical solution for that, it's basically handled by a lot of special case code that sorts things out into different categories of junctures and knows how to handle each of those special cases.

The filleting engines that work better tend to have had a lot more time invested in doing a whole bunch of those different kinds of cases.

But that's why it's difficult to make a really robust filleter, it's not just guided by one single code path that can just be refined.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3452.26 In reply to 3452.2 
>>Otherwise if you do want to make it in MoI you would instead need to use some surface modeling tools to build it, something like trim >>away some areas and then build a sweep in there instead of trying to use fillet. Let me know if you want to try that and I will try to >>help you with it, but really if you have another solid modeling system available to you, it's easiest to export over to it and do the fillet >>there.

As someone who has encountered similar problems with the fillet function, I can highly recommend using the "sweep" function. In many ways, you get better control over the final shape and how it relates to the various surfaces.

Give it a try instead of expecting a one click solution!

Cheers,

Chris

EDITED: 20 Feb 2022 by TWOFOOT

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-12  13-26