ATI 38xx compatibility?
All  1-3  4-9

Previous
Next
3438.4 In reply to 3438.2 
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the feedback. I had in mind to install the latest driver version anyhow and the symptoms surely do point that way since my DirectX installation is up to date and dxdiag doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. I'll let you know if this solves it. From stuff that definitely runs in d3d mode the only other thing I've tried on this machine are some recent fancy simulator games and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3438.5 In reply to 3438.3 
> Also if you are overclocking the card or the CPU or something you might want to back off that and see if it improves things.
> Sometimes that can produce weird effects.

Nah, I haven't overclocked this at all and it's well cooled, getting at most up to 35C.

> I did a quick google search for "ATI 3850 crash" and see a lot of stuff...

Yeah, it's to be expected you'd find a lot of stuff - it was marketed as a budget gaming card really so there will be a lot of gamers out there with crashes. However, as I said this isn't a typical crash - the machine is responsive, just the VGA bugs out and there's no logging of it anywhere, nothing spits out an error, no blue screen, nothing - if I set the machine to standby and then resume it returns to rendering normally, MoI is still there, until I try to manipulate anything in MoI. Is there some sort of verbose debug logging mode I can enable in MoI?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3438.6 In reply to 3438.5 
Hi xaotik,

> Is there some sort of verbose debug logging mode
> I can enable in MoI?

There isn't any special extra-logging mode, but there is a regular log that you could check out. Hold down the Ctrl key and click in the "MoI" title text in the upper right area of the main window to get the debug menu, and pick "Show log" off of that.

Errors reported back from Direct3D are pretty heavily logged.

But it kind of sounds like some kind of internal state in the driver itself is getting messed up, that may not trickle up to a normal error message back to a client program like MoI, but it is worth a check.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3438.7 In reply to 3438.6 
Just a note. be sure that "Hardware acceleration" is not turned down at all.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3438.8 In reply to 3438.7 
As an update on the subject - it seems that the latest Catalyst drivers (10.3) fixed it. To validate this, I re-installed 10.2 and tried again and indeed there is something (which isn't directly mentioned in the release notes of the 10.3 fixes) that causes the same problem to occur, so 10.3 it is.

Thanks again for your time!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3438.9 In reply to 3438.8 
Hi xaotik, that's great news that the updated driver has fixed the problem!

Video cards these days tend to be the most complex thing in your machine, and the video drivers are a set of complex software as well. Complexity tends to breed bugs so that's why it's not too unusual to run into bugs in video drivers more often than in other kinds of drivers.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-3  4-9