Blend curve on surface.

Next
Hi Michael,

Does the geometry library handle blend curve on a surface?

~Danny~
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3433.2 In reply to 3433.1 
Hi Danny,

> Does the geometry library handle blend curve on a surface?

I don't think there is anything specifically for that, but possibly something like that could be calculated by doing a 2D curve blend inside of the UV parameter space of a surface and then pushing the UV curve up into 3D space. Although that kind of an approach can have problems if the control points of the surface are bunched together in different areas, as that also bunches together the UV parameter space as well.

It would probably be better to have one that sort of more marched along the 3D surface more directly so that it could control the spacing of the blend by 3D distance instead of in UV space. But that calculation is significantly more difficult to handle though.

Also I'm not sure if that would be very feasible to have directly in the Blend command without it exploding into a really complex command...

But we'll see... I am planning on doing an overhaul of the Blend command in v3 but the primary focus will be on handling a connected chain of edges.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Couldn't you just do the blend from both curves then project the result onto the surface? Looks like it would work for that example.
Mind you, I'm a noob here so maybe not.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3433.4 In reply to 3433.3 
Hi roj, yup I think that for a case like that a projection of the regular curve/curve blend would work.

If the surface has more variation in it over the area being blended, then that may be problematic though.

Another possibility is if you can model a surface that has the general shaping that you want from the blend then you could produce surface/surface intersection curves by using the Construct > Curve > Isect command.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks Michael,

The example, as mentioned isn't a problem It was just to illustrate what I meant.
It would be useful for constructing surface to surface continuity, but if you are working on the blend function in V3 then we'll have to wait and see what goodies come from that.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All