Sweep-Problem

Next
Maby there is something i don't understand, but it should be so simple i think.
I want to create a room with some stucco-profile round the ceiling.
But when i do a sweep it dosen't match to the wall or the ceiling.

The manual dosen't helped me.

What am i doing wrong?
How can i adjust the position of the profile?

See attached file.
Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 23.6 KB, Downloaded: 36 times, Dimensions: 450x309px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3431.2 In reply to 3431.1 
Hi Janne, it's not entirely clear to me what result you are looking for, but currently you've got the profile off to the side which means you are using "auto place" mode where the profile is automatically moved into place to be perpendicular to the rail.

If that does not result in the orientation that you want, then instead move the profile curve so that it is oriented around the rail as you wish. If the profile curve is contained within the bounding box of the rail, it will take the profile directly from where you have placed it instead of doing the autoplace mode.

So for example currently you have it set up like this:

That's using autoplace mode. If that does not produce the orientation you need you could try rotating the profile but also you may want to instead move the profile so it either touches or is centered around the rail more like this:

In that second situation, the profile is used directly as you have located it and does not get moved and rotated onto the rail like auto-place mode does.

Does that help you get what you need?

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3431.3 In reply to 3431.1 
I guess that probably the part you don't like is that with auto-place mode your profile is centered around the rail instead of hanging off to one side of it?

So to fix that you will want to do what I describe above, and position the profile so that it is actually touching the rail and hanging off to the side that you want, then when doing the sweep it will be in that position instead of centered.

In the future I want to add some adjustments to auto-place mode so that you could do something like have an origin point show up that you could drag around. But placing the profile to be touching the rail should let you get what you need right now.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3431.4 In reply to 3431.1 
Hi Janne, just a bit more illustration - if I place the profile so it touches the rail here:

Then when doing the sweep, the sweep will pass through that profile, making this result (with the sweeping going towards the "outside" of that rail).

Or here for example I have placed the other side of the profile to touch the rail instead:

That will also make a sweep that goes right through that profile:

So in that case the sweep is going towards the "inside" of that rail because of how the profile was positioned in relation to the rail.

When you move the profile so that it is totally away from the rail like you had in your model, then that activates "auto place" mode where the profile is moved to be centered around and perpendicular to the rail instead of the sweep actually going through the profile's original location.

If you are making things like tubular type shapes that should have the rail going down the centerline of the shape, then autoplace mode is good for that.

But if you want the sweep to border on one particular side of the profile, you can't use autoplace mode for that, instead you need to make the profile touch the rail to control how it will be positioned.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

i am not sure if i understood it right cause my english isn't the very best.

What i want to get is something like the attached. I think it's what you descriped in ypur second post.
The orange profile is the "right" one.
I only geht this when i move the points of the curve-spline.

But you are right, i don't "like" it that the profile is centered.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Aaaaaahhh, yes. That's qhat i am was looking for.
Hmm, very strage. Why didn't i tried it yet?

Now it's doing exacly what i want.

THANKS Michael.

Janne
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3431.7 In reply to 3431.5 
Hi Janne, it looks like we posted some messages at the same time so you may not have seen my very last one - check it out here:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3431.4

That shows some more illustrations for how you would want to position the profile to get what you want.

I've also attached a model file here with the profile positioned how I think you want it - try sweeping the profile in the attached 3DM file to a result that goes towards the inside of the rail, because the profile is touching the rail and positioned to that side of it.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3431.8 In reply to 3431.6 
No problem Janne, I'm glad you have your correct result now!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Yes, now i got exactly what you attached.
I think noe i understood the sweep a little bit more and i am able to get what i want.

Thanks a lot for your very very quick help!

Janne
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3431.10 In reply to 3431.9 
I'm glad to see the new mitered corner handling being useful for this case as well !

Previously that would have taken a bunch of extra work.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All