alternate scene shading option?

Next
Hi Micheal,

I'm still tempted to visit this forum a few times each year, just to keep up with whats happening. However I always find the ease and use of SketchUp related to Moi, a transition still to difficult to make. Nevertheless I still keep trying whenever I have some time. :)

So on my latest Moi experimentation today. I thought it might be time to include an optional shading algorithm in Moi. The attached pic will explain!

cheers!
Image Attachments:
Size: 346.4 KB, Downloaded: 65 times, Dimensions: 641x630px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3427.2 In reply to 3427.1 
In V2 you go into MoI's lighting options and choose "Hemispheric" from the dropdown light selection menu.

Uh oh, Here comes the MoI vs. Sketchup speed test again. Current score....MoI = 2 Sketchetchup = 0
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3427.3 In reply to 3427.2 
If you look at this thread, all the images from me are out of the MoI viewport.

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3401.24
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3427.4 In reply to 3427.3 
Great! So why don't you tell me how to change it, or find this in the option menu. Instead to inventing a challenge.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3427.5 In reply to 3427.1 
Hi tomot, all you really have to do is install and use the v2 beta instead of the old v1 version which it looks like you are currently using.

You can get the v2 beta from here: http://moi3d.com/beta.htm

The v2 beta has a completely different lighting engine enabled on it by default which gives a lot more illumination in different directions onto the model and doesn't leave such dark areas as you would find in v1.

There are different options that you can control on it (like manually tune the brightness levels and tweak the look to have highlights or a metallic look or also switch between some different light setups), but you should not likely need to fiddle with them, just the standard defaults with the new lighting engine should solve your particular problem.

If you do want to tweak the options, check out this previous post that shows where they are in v2:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3348.3

Also check out here for some screenshots of the new v2 lighting system in action:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2843.1

That's just one of the many things that are improved in v2...

There's a list of all the new stuff in v2 gathered here:
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/doc/V2releasenotes.html

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3427.6 In reply to 3427.5 
Hi Micheal:

I'm a "customer" by definition, but only a "potential buyer" at this time. Although I'm glad you have addressed that issue.
In the mean time I'll keep struggling with Moi v1

cheers!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3427.7 In reply to 3427.6 
Hi tomot, I see - well it won't be much longer before v2 is out and then there will be a v2 trial version.

The software itself is ready for v2 now, I'm just working on updating the documentation.

From v1 to v2 has been about 2 years worth of work so quite a lot of stuff has been improved, including a major overhaul of the lighting system to avoid dark areas just like you were suggesting.

For v1 the best that you can do for this issue is to set up a keyboard shortcut that will toggle the light direction. Then if you have a dark area you can hit that shortcut key which will change the lighting.

To do that in v1, go to Options > Shortcut keys, and add in a new entry. For the "Key" part put in whatever you want to trigger it, like maybe L for lighting. Then for the "Command" part in the second column, paste in the following:

script: /* Toggle light direction */ var dir = moi.view.lightDirection; if ( dir.x == 1 && dir.y == 1 && dir.z == -1 ) { dir.set(-0.5,1,0); } else { dir.set(1,1,-1); } moi.view.lightDirection = dir;

Then when you have a dark area that you want to work in, hit L (or whatever key you picked) and it should shift the lighting around enough so that dark area is now in light.

For v2 it is not necessary to do any of that though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3427.8 In reply to 3427.7 
Hi Micheal:

Thanks for the explanation, I'm quite sure your charming response, will one day win me over, to become a "buyer"

cheers, and all the best!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All