How to do this blend?
 1-20  21-40  41-57

Previous
Next
3425.41 In reply to 3425.40 
Hi Roger,

I picked the various construction lines from your original model.

After making the revolve I extruded a circle (I created the circle from the orientation of the lip, size from the cutout) to intercept/trim the main body.

I then copied the edge of the cutout, trimmed that new curve and made blend to lines I had created from the top of the original cutout.

I then extruded the blend curves (+ a line connecting them) and trimmed the top of the cutout.

I then selected the edges of the cutout and merged them.

- Steve
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.42 In reply to 3425.41 
Very interesting but I still don't get it.
I think this would be a great candidate for a tutorial video.
Thanks for sharing man, your input is greatly appreciated.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Ok, I have again very interesting question, is there someking of skin on bottle or why I dont see all edges,and curves, are they suppressed?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.44 In reply to 3425.43 
Hi d3,

> Ok, I have again very interesting question, is there someking
> of skin on bottle or why I dont see all edges,and curves, are
> they suppressed?

Nothing is hidden as far as I can tell...

Where exactly are you expecting to see additional curves or edges?

If you have surfaces that are built in smaller pieces and joined, then you will have more edges in a model. If you have a smaller number of surfaces each of which is larger in size then you will also have less edges in a model.

Are you maybe talking about an isocurve type display? Some programs draw additional extra extracted curves in the middle of surfaces as just another way to display them. But that's kind of an old remnant from the time when everything was only displayed in wireframe instead of shaded. MoI does not draw extra isocurves and instead just focuses on showing you the surface without extra clutter drawn on top of it. But the edges of all the trimming boundaries are shown in MoI unless you have decided to hide them yourself.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.45 In reply to 3425.41 
Hi Steve, I'm interested in your method also. The more you can expound the better!!! The inset tab creation from there?

Thanks
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.46 In reply to 3425.45 
Hi BurrMan,

>>The inset tab creation from there?<<

The inset tab was made from a Network.

I created a circle from the original model. The red lines where part of the construction and left for later use.

I trimmed off the top of the circle, then used blend to blend each side of the circle and the center line to lines placed at the top of the cutout.

I then added 2 3_point_arcs (yellow curves) to help with the Network

I then joined/added trim points to create the Network, I also used the top edge of the cutout as part of the Network for the blend.

I have colored the curves to show the network:-

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.47 In reply to 3425.46 
Aha, I missed the 3 point curves.

Thanks for sharing that.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Well I understand all that but what I don't get, is how you get the final blend between the cutout and the bottle.
It seems that from the cutout network shown you would end-up with a surface made up of four edges, while in the 3dm you provided both the bottle and the cutout have a single edge (therefore MOI can generate the blend).

Is there some way to merge edges of a networked surface which I don't know about?
I tried merging by using join but I always end up with a seperate curve.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.49 In reply to 3425.48 
There is a "Merge" command in MoI. Either setup a shortcut key with the command as Merge, or hit tab and type Merge.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I was curious, so decided to see if I could patch the bottle in MOI that was originally posted. The result looks OK.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.51 In reply to 3425.44 
>But the edges of all the trimming boundaries are shown in MoI unless you have decided to hide them yourself<
Ok, those edges was hided.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Steve, Thanks for that. Well, your technique up to the network is exactly the same as mine so I'm glad I was on the right track. I didn't think to add extra lines to help the network though, that's a great idea. Also, I had no idea there was a Merge command either, so all my joined curves refused to blend nicely like yours do.
Cool, this thread has turned into a bit of a monster but I've learned a lot!

Roger
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.53 In reply to 3425.52 
Hi Roger,

>>Also, I had no idea there was a Merge command either,<<

It does save a lot of time/work. You could get similar results without that (and in V1) but it means creating a single closed spline for cutting out the hole (making sure the start/end of the spline is at a corner point), then the lip would need to be made from a larger surface, which again would need to be trimmed with a single spline. Certainly not for the faint-hearted :-)

So where is the next model to look at :-)

- Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
OK, I last post here ( I hope) but I just had to say how great the Merge command is! It's totally wiped out my biggest frustration with MOI, namely, not being able to do blend surfaces where the edges are split. The Merge function makes it a doddle. I've made a shortcut key and now my surfaces are blending quicker and easier than Rhino's. Yay! No more worrying about selecting edge chains or all that malarkey, just merge 'em together and blend away...

Roger
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.55 In reply to 3425.54 
Hi Roger,

>>I've made a shortcut key and now my surfaces are blending quicker and easier than Rhino's. Yay! No more worrying about selecting edge chains or all that malarkey, just merge 'em together and blend away...<<

Rhino does have a "MergeEdge" command (Edge tools). The edge chains in Rhino(for such as surface blending) are more for selecting multiple edges spanning different surfaces.

I do hope Michael will add an option to automatically merge a complete edge rather than (or in addition to) having to select each part of the surface edge to merge, as with the bottle, there are some very small broken(split) edges that can be missed when merging, so a need to zoom right in to check out the edge to make sure all the edge as actually been selected.

- Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.56 In reply to 3425.55 
Hi Steve, with the Merge command you can also select an entire object instead of individual edges, in which case it will merge all mergeable edges in the whole object.

So that may be useful for cases where you are worried about tiny edges.

But it would probably be good to have another mode for MoI's merge command though for the case where you have selected just a single edge - in that case I could merge it with the next edge over from the end closest that you clicked on. That could help to deal with tiny edges if you only want to merge things in one particular area of the model instead of everything. I'll added that to my list to look into for the future.

But with a regular model it is pretty likely that a full merge of everything would be what you want, so just select the whole object and that will happen.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3425.57 In reply to 3425.56 
Hi Michael,

>>with the Merge command you can also select an entire object instead of individual edges, in which case it will merge all mergeable edges in the whole object.<<

I had missed that possibility. Have just looked, and that works fine.

Thanks,

- Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-57