How to do this blend?
 1-20  21-40  41-57

Previous
Next
3425.21 In reply to 3425.18 
Hi d3,

> Can I join all in one time or do I have to go thru all one by one?

You can join a bunch all at once, just select everything that you want and run Join.

Edges have to be close enough together to be joined though, at a regular scale level the edges should be no further than 0.005 units apart in order for them to be joinable.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Shades V10 looks good but isn't this a poly modeler? I'm not a poly expert but in most poly modelers if you model using splines doesn't the surface update when you tweak the spline around?

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.23 In reply to 3425.19 
Hi d3,

> Are there any options for surfaces and solid part colors?
> It would be easier to see which part is in surface mode.

You mean have solids and surfaces automatically drawn in different colors?

No, there isn't anything for that because colors are already used for something different - you can apply Styles to objects so you can make visually distinctive groups for organizing your model and also set up materials to be used when exporting to a rendering program.

If objects were colored only by whether they were a solid or a surface, that would be in conflict with using colors for the style system where you are free to apply styles as you wish.

But a quick way to see if you are working with a solid or a surface is to select it and then look at its type indicator in the Properties panel in the upper right area of the window, here:

That will say "Solid" there if the selected object is a closed solid, or "Joined srf" if it is not a solid and made up of more than 1 surface joined together, or "Surface" if it is not a solid and just a single surface.

You can also use the Scene browser to select all solids, or hide solids, show only solids, etc... - to do that go to the Scene browser Types section here:

Click on the text that says "Solids" to select all solids, they will then be highlighted in yellow. Click on the eye to hide all solids, or right-click on the eye to hide everything else and only leave solids visible.

Also if you really really want different colors for solids and surfaces you can get that by selecting stuff with the scene browser there and then assigning a style. Like select all solids, and assign them Style = Orange, now your solids are displayed in orange.

- Michael

EDITED: 29 Mar 2010 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.24 In reply to 3425.15 
Hi Roger,

> My problem with this model was that it couldn't be done
> using booleans. Because of the smooth transition from the
> curved neck into the flat indentation it had to be made
> from blended surfaces.

Yeah in this case it would be hard to do a boolean since the indented part is so smooth with the neck, it's not a distinct enough part.

But that basically puts it into a more difficult/finicky/advanced type area of surface modeling with continuity...

That's just not really a fully implemented area in MoI yet, there's some beginnings of it but I think in v3 it should make some good progress.

One reason why I have not focused on that area so far is that I kind of expect that style of modeling to be done with a sub-d type tool instead of MoI - I've kind of put more focus on the solid modeling tools early on since those tend to be easier to use, quicker to learn, and also actually leverage more of the strengths of NURBS modeling and are more in contrast to things like sub-d tools.

> Back in the olden days, (maybe 15 yrs ago now) there used
> to be a modeller that used a kind of 3d version of bezier
> splines like illustrator.

I have a vague memory of something I think was called Pixel3D, could that be it?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.25 In reply to 3425.24 
Hi Michael,

I understand what you're saying. Sub-D's are fine for continuity but not so easy when integrating into the cad world. I often get requests from my client for STEP of SAT files from bottles I've built using Sub-d's and I have to either go down the T-Slines route, which makes for mega heavy patch meshes, or completely rebuild in Nurbs. This is why I'm trying to lean more towards MOI/Rhino from the start so I can have less rebuilding to do. It's all good fun really!

The modeller with splines was definitely shade. See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shade_3D

Only poly based though so no good for me either!

cheers
Roger
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.26 In reply to 3425.25 
Hi Roger, have you actually run into difficulty with a T-splines model that was just exported as a set of NURBS patches not being acceptable because it made a really large file or something?

I mean, that is actually the main focus of T-splines, to give a sub-d workflow but make a NURBS result...

Did you maybe get something like a client that considered the t-splines output to be unacceptable because it was different from the kind of structure that they were used to?

But yeah if you want to have a final output that is structured like a more typical CAD model, then building it in NURBS from the start would help get you that result... But also for really sculptured / non-2d-profile stuff it will mean operating with a more advanced (and difficult to use, and sometimes kind of headache inducing) kind of toolset instead of the simple solid modeling toolset.

The one you have here is actually not bad at all, but if you start to have broader pieces of the model that you're trying to surface in that way with multiple simultaneous transitions and branching type stuff, all while maintaining high continuity, that's when sub-d/t-splines starts to really become a lot more efficient.

- Michael

EDITED: 29 Mar 2010 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.27 In reply to 3425.26 
Hi Michael,

I haven't had any 'trouble' as such, but I have had issues where my sub-d models have had to be re-edited after conversion because, for example, a circle of a set diameter was very slightly out even though it looked fine by eye. Due to the stretchy nature of sub-d's it's extremely difficult to get cad-accurate results. Bearing in mind I mainly build models of bottles, which must be symmetrical for manufacture.
For example the indentation on the bottle above is perfectly circular in the MOI one but the sub-d one is slightly off due to the difficulty of faking a boolean cut across a curved surface.

Recently a client needed to edit the radii on the neck of an odd shaped bottle that I'd build in modo. He'd specified one size that later needed changing. Normally he could just tweak this himself in something like Spaceclaim, but because T-Splines had patched over all the radii, instead of retaining them, he had to send it back to me to regenerate. He wasn't too happy about it.

I still use t-splines though as it really is very clever. I often end up with a hybrid model that has a sub-d body and a cad neck. Having MOI handy makes that kind of thing very easy. Horses for courses I guess.

cheers
Roger
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.28 In reply to 3425.23 
>You mean have solids and surfaces automatically drawn in different colors?

Yes, something like that. Are those color options you ment available in trial 1.0 version?

Thanks,

d3
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.29 In reply to 3425.28 
Hi d3,

> Are those color options you ment available in trial 1.0 version?

No, they're part of the new stuff that's in MoI version 2.0 .

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.30 In reply to 3425.27 
Hi Roger, I see, thanks for explaining it more.

Yes definitely getting things that are exactly circular is a big problem with sub-d...

If it's an exact circular hole that you need, that's something that a hybrid approach could be good with, like use sub-d/t-splines to build the full shape, convert to NURBS and then cut the hole with NURBS.

But if it's more of your main body shape that needs to have some exact circular shape, I can see that's going to be more difficult in sub-d. Sub-d is kind of more oriented towards things that are going to be more melty all over and not really having a specific radius called out.

Bottles seem to be a pretty difficult case combining a lot of different shape types...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Its been a while since I looked at MOI, so had a play.
I do not like trying to patch up surfaces in MOI, so made a quick rebuild of the bottle/cut outs (as close as possible, albeit quickly done). I can get a G1 blend, but a G2 would require some changes to the bottle surface/cutouts.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.32 In reply to 3425.31 
How is that cut done?

Thanks,

-d3-
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.33 In reply to 3425.32 
>>How is that cut done?<<

Is that a question to my post/model?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.34 In reply to 3425.33 
>>>Is that a question to my post/model?<<<

Yes, it was. I was wondering, have you used boolean to make the cut?
Looks fine, no bad edges when checking in 3d printing software.

Thanks,

-d3-
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
OK Steve, How the hell did you do that!! It looks lovely. I can get that in Rhino using a 2 rail sweep with tangency but not in MOI. Also, such a super smooth indentation with one surface.
Share your secrets oh master! :-)

Roger
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.36 In reply to 3425.35 
It's a very interesting Polygonal point structure to the bottle. Interested to know how the bottle was made in MoI. :o
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.37 In reply to 3425.36 
Hi Burr,

> It's a very interesting Polygonal point structure to the bottle.

That's actually what an exact surface of revolution looks like.

When you have an untrimmed surface of revolution, when you turn on the points for it in MoI, you will get the points for an automatically rebuilt surface instead which is more friendly for point editing than the exact one that has fully multiple knots in it. If you edit the polygonal looking point structure, you'll see that if you pull points of that structure around it kind of splits into quadrant pieces rather than staying as a single totally smooth surface.

If a surface is trimmed though, that automatic rebuilding will not take place. In this case the surface is trimmed so that's why you see that squarish polygonal point structure.

If you untrim it by selecting all of its edges and pushing delete, then you'll see the rebuilt control points appear on it instead when you turn surface points on.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.38 In reply to 3425.37 
Aha. Very intersting. Never noticed that before.
Thanks
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.39 In reply to 3425.35 
Hi Roger,

Sorry, I did not keep the construction (I am in a bad habit of deleting construction (in MOI V1), I need to get used to the fact MOI now has layers)

The main body is revolved (I made a spline from the edge/shape of the bottle, then revolved) I then cut a circular hole into the neck, copied the edge of the hole, trimmed and made blend to lines set at the top of the cutout, then trimmed away the rest of the cutout. The cutout edges where then merged.

The lip is made by Network (to make it one surface).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3425.40 In reply to 3425.39 
Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. I'm not sure I entirely follow how you got from a circular hole to the final shape but I'm going to have another stab at this and see what happens. It's amazing how you've got no cut lines across your indent surfaces. Hmmmm..

Cheers,
Roger
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-57