Draft or rotate surface

Next
Hi,

how can I make draft to cubic or can I make one surface
angled with specific axis?

Edit:

Sorry, I have to use more that search command!

Thanks anyway

EDITED: 24 Mar 2010 by D3PRINT

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3413.2 In reply to 3413.1 
Hi d3, did you figure out what you need?

MoI does not currently have very much in the "direct manipulation" of faces type stuff, so you generally can't grab a face and pull it or rotate it around.

Instead you would probably want to produce your result by doing a Boolean - have a box that is extended somewhat to the side, and in the front view draw a line at the angle you need:

Now select the box and run Boolean Difference, and select the line as the cutting object. This will cut up the box into 2 pieces:

Select the piece that you don't need and delete it and you will get your result:

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3413.3 In reply to 3413.2 
"MoI does not currently have very much in the "direct manipulation" of faces type stuff, so you generally can't grab a face and pull it or rotate it around."

Yes I was searching somekind of direct editing tool. My opinion is that is the most powerfull tool when you create and edit
solid parts. (In SpaceClaim and ST2 direct editing works very well).

Anyway,
until Moi havent it yet, have to do it in MoI other way,

Thanks,

d3
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3413.4 In reply to 3413.3 
Hi d3,

> My opinion is that is the most powerfull tool when you
> create and edit solid parts.

Yes, it's definitely useful - moreso for the editing part though and not quite as much for the creation.

For creation, it's nice if you can just create what you actually need more right off the bat (kind of by drawing it more directly) instead of trying to create something else first and then mutate it into some other shape.

I do want to add some direct editing type functionality into MoI in the future, but it is not a particularly easy area to make work well so it may be a while.

It also tends to be an area that is more limited in the kinds of shapes it deals with - most direct editing functionality is more oriented around editing prismatic parts, like things made up of extrusions or planes and not really able to deal with freeform surfaces.

If you do like that kind of workflow, probably SpaceClaim would be a better match for you than MoI since it is very oriented around those methods.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3413.5 In reply to 3413.3 
Hi d3, also one thing to keep in mind is that I have a lot less resources available to me than Siemens for example who make Synchronous Technology 2 that you were referring to.

They're a really big corporation and I'm just one guy working on MoI.... So you may need to adjust your expectations.

The focus in MoI is more on the UI and fluid workflow for being able to draw things quickly and being more approachable to people who come from various non-technical backgrounds. It's not so much on trying to be "feature equivalent" or a complete replacement for complex MCAD programs.

As time goes on though I do expect for MoI to get more features though, certainly...

But if for example you are expecting MoI to have all the same functions as Synchronous Technology 2, then you are going to definitely be disappointed and MoI is not the right fit for you if that's what you are looking for, I just want to make sure that is clear.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3413.6 In reply to 3413.5 
Sorry if I confused,

I see that MoI3d is really usefull software, easy to use and much off capatibility to create
also complex shapes, and in many ways faster than ST2 or other Mcad`s.
(Reason why asked these "stupid" things is that I have used MCAD`s since 1997 and lot of things are burned in my
back of the head. So it is not allways easy to think in different ways how to create part and surfaces....)

Personally I dont like softwares where you
have to use too much time to create features, too many options and menus, "keep it simple"!

As I told earlier, softwares in future (hope soon)I`m gonna purchase are Moi3D and Spaceclaim.

Many thanks,

d3
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3413.7 In reply to 3413.6 
Hi d3,

> (Reason why asked these "stupid" things is that I have
> used MCAD`s since 1997 and lot of things are burned in my
> back of the head.

Well, your question was not at all bad, I'm sorry I gave that impression.

I just wanted to try and clarify a bit about what MoI is oriented towards, and to try and keep expectations a bit in check! :)

Sometimes people expect that MoI should just be a kind of complete drop-in replacement for a high-priced MCAD program, and I can understand that it would be cool to have all the high-priced functions at a low price instead, but I want to make sure that people are realistic about it.

In fact, the direct modeling type functionality that you were mentioning would definitely be quite helpful to have in MoI! I do hope to be able to add it at least for basic situations in the future.

Spaceclaim and MoI can complement each other in many ways, you can do things like quick shape drawing and some freeform surfacing in MoI, and do direct-manipulation editing and better filleting in Spaceclaim. I think that they have enabled 3DM support through the clipboard with Spaceclaim as well, so I believe you can do Copy and Paste between MoI to Spaceclaim with the latest version of Spaceclaim...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3413.8 In reply to 3413.6 
Hi d3,

> Personally I dont like softwares where you have to use too
> much time to create features, too many options and
> menus, "keep it simple"!

This part that you wrote here is definitely in line with MoI's goals though! :)

There are a couple of interesting effects that can happen when things are kept simple and fluid - one is that it becomes easier for someone to learn to use the tool.

But another interesting effect that goes along with fluidity and good workflow is a gain in modeling and drawing speed...

It can also be good for your stress level when it overall feels more like you are having fun when using a tool rather than fighting against it constantly.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All