LWO vs. OBJ export

Next
Hello together,

I'm reading frequently in this forum as I really love MoI. It's my favourite app. I hope that you'll add a render engine once, Michael ;-)

I also use modo and read some threads here saying that OBJ export from MoI to modo is better than LWO export. I've just played
around a little bit and came to a different result:

Left image is a LWO export and you see that the mesh is clean and the shader looks good while the right image with the OBJ export
shows artefacts(?) without being "touched" by the shader.

Just for your info :-)

Marcus

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3409.2 In reply to 3409.1 
Hi Marcus, yes for Modo and Lightwave both I'd definitely recommend LWO format and not OBJ.

Modo's OBJ importer has actually improved quite a bit from where it used to be, it used to have even more significant problems than what you are showing there. But even though it has improved it still has a ways to go yet.

That's actually why I developed a LWO exporter from MoI in the first place, it was specifically because their OBJ importer had a lot of problems, especially with n-gon processing.

Both Modo and LightWave use a kind of sensitive method for determining the orientation of a polygon - they only look at the directions coming off of the very first vertex of the polygon to determine its orientation. So that means the first vertex must be located at a convex vertex for the polygon to behave as intended. I think that possibly one of their main problems is the OBJ importer may not be setting the first vertex of the polygon carefully.

It would actually be a major improvement for them to use a different method in their core handling for determining the polygon's orientation, like the Newell method that analyzes all points of the polygon instead of putting special weight on the first one, there is a link to that method in this previous post:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2039.7

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3409.3 In reply to 3409.2 
Hi Michael,

Finally, you offer enough exporters and it doesn't really matter for me if I export an LWO or OBJ file
and the LWO exports works perfectly for modo and also the SketchUp exporter works very very well!

Marcus
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks for the clear explanation Michael. I recently switched from 3ds max to modo. It's my opinion that MoI is one of the easy to use modeling apps out there, and Modo has an excellent renderer. Your efforts to improve the transfer from MoI to modo is icing on the cake.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All