curve edit points
All  1-6  7-8

Previous
Next
3398.7 In reply to 3398.4 
Michael,

You're right. i just think the even spacing of isoparms make them useful for additional geometry to be put in place. Being able to extract isoparms as curves would be a great addition though...

On the same note, I have another question since i'm really just learning about surfacing, if you can extract the isoparms as brand new curves and then network them, would you end up with the same surface or would there be a slight difference? I guess i'm asking because sometimes i prefer to see the wire frame and sometimes that affects my modeling approach. I simply don't know enough to understand the subtleties. :)

Any videos or links would be very helpful

Thanks again for the quick response.

--Luis
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
3398.8 In reply to 3398.6 
Hi Michael,

Your solution works great for this example. However, I guess what I was going for is to be able to pick the intersection point of the curve and move it to other snap points on the scene.

With "edit/show points" on, I can do this by clicking anywhere on the curve and picking a point arbitrarily then dragging this "temporary" point and snapping to other things as I would normally do. I would like to do the same, but by being able to pick the intersection as the starting point. Its just I can never quite lock in the "true" intersection even while zoomed in because no pick point or crosshair at that intersection shows up on the screen that I could grab on. This would guarantee the curve is snapped to and passes through the next snap point I choose to place it in. Other tools can do it (e.g. pick the intersection), so I figured why not this one. :)

I dont mind if the nearby control points get slightly modified, what i've noticed is that while dragging the curve with "edit/show points" on, only the nearest 3 control points get affected while the others stay locked in position (at least from what I can tell). What I care about is being able to make slight modifications to the curve around those control points and not have to reconstruct the entire thing all over again, which in come cases I can never get it quite right without doing a lot of other work.

Let me know if this makes sense...

Re: your comment:
quote:
One other note - the curves in your file were just slightly non-symmetrical, like the orange curve was slightly not in a vertical plane. So I tightened them up just a bit which gives cleaner kinds of snaps. If you see things like a perpendicular snap is slightly not in the same spot as an intersection where you would expect for them to be the same, it probably means your curve is slightly not symmetrical or planar.

Yeah, this was probably a left over change for when I was trying the "on curve" snap while dragging a point on the orange curve with "edit/show points" on in the top ortho view.

Best,

--Luis
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-6  7-8