New owner

Next
Just a first post to say hello.
My name is Juan Luis and i'm a "new proud owner" of a MoI license. :-)
Want to thank Michael Gibson for making a program that fits perfectly with my other prefered 3d app, Modo.
It's an easy yet powerful program, with an AMAZING export tool. You get what you want with just a few clicks, without getting lost (or crazy) with menus, submenus, and so on...

The only thing i don't like is your "MoIs Beta" policy. I can't imagine working in MoI without groups, styles, and all the new stuff. So, i suppose i'll have to update when v2 is available... :-)

Thank you!

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Juan,

> The only thing i don't like is your "MoIs Beta" policy. I can't imagine working in MoI without groups, styles, and all the new stuff. So, i suppose i'll have to update when v2 is available...

You can download the V 2 beta with your V1 license, please take a look:
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3390.3 In reply to 3390.2 
Hi, Ralf!

I was joking, of course! :-) My photo shows i'm working with the last beta.
I like the oportunity to work with betas and help in the development of MoI looking for bugs or whatever. But when the beta expires, i won't be able to go back to v1.1. So... i'll have to upgrade!

Sorry for my poor english... :-(
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3390.4 In reply to 3390.1 
Hi Juan, welcome to the forum and to MoI!

I'm glad that you are enjoying using it and I hope that it is useful for you alongside Modo. The different approach of NURBS modeling (for example having Booleans as a first class modeling approach rather than something to avoid), combined with clean polygon exports can make MoI a particularly nice companion to have alongside of Modo.

> So, i suppose i'll have to update when v2 is available... :-)

Well, that's good news for me though!

It's certainly a big goal for new versions to have improvements that you actually want to use... ;)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3390.5 In reply to 3390.4 
Polygon export is one of the thigns that most surprised me. No normal faces turned, no dissapeared meshes, no problems at all, even when my moi file is full of objects. Every mesh in modo has the name of the group it had in moi... Impresive.

This morning i had a little problem. I think it was my fault. Too many aplications opened at the same time, saving files, and some of them "cracked". When i re-opened the moi file i was working on, some objects (hidden ones) had disapeared. But when i looked into mi hard drive, i found a _bak file and everything was there! :-) Didn't know about this!

Little update of my dam...

The same file, exported to Modo... IT'S THE SAME!!!

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3390.6 In reply to 3390.5 
Hi Juan, the _bak file is created (normally only temporarily) when you are going to write over top of some existing file.

What happens is MoI first renames the existing file that is going to be overwritten to have that _bak file name, and it only removes that old already existing file once the new file has been successfully written.

That helps to protect against losing an existing file if there was some problem during the writing of the new version of it.

So something did go wrong with writing the new file though - it could be a bug but it can also be running out of disk space or running out of memory as well, and from what you are describing with a whole lot of things running at the same time it kind of sounds like it may have been a running out of memory problem...

Do you have plenty of RAM installed in your machine? If not it may be a good thing to upgrade on your machine especially if you're going to be running a lot of things all at the same time.

But I'm glad that the _bak file mechanism helped out though!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All